bdun

Over the counter - Units 28, 31, and 32

I just moved to Sierra Vista and picked up an over the counter tag in areas 28, 31, and 32 starting Nov 20th. I've done a few days of scouting so far and haven't seen any signs of elk. From what I can find on AZFG website, Ft grant prion area might have some. Anyone know about area 31, especially the south part of Mt Graham? Or any other info about units 28 and 32? Should I expect to be surrounded by other hunters as well? Thank you

Crowds should not be a problem on that hunt. But finding an elk might be. Elk numbers are extremely low in the fort grant area. I have hunted that area for coues numerous times (2 December tags, 1 October tag and every January for several years) and the closest I came was seeing a pile of elk crap.

Good luck, they exist, and while you are glassing you should see a lot of great coues.

There's a reason they are over-the-counter elk tags. You won't see other hunters, but you will likely not see elk either. They don't want the few that are in there to remain, thus the tags. There is a small herd that resides in the Gila River bottom near Eden. You can't actually hunt the river bottom & they don't come out much, but when they do, they are awfully exposed. The farms north of the river near the Eden Hot Springs is a place to try.

http://www.eacourier.com/news/elk-hit-by-truck-west-of-fort-thomas/article_decc9712-1d02-11e4-a9e7-001a4bcf887a.html

I heard rumor there was some hanging around riggs lake up on top of the pinalenos. Elk are usually around a reliable water source and I dont think that range is exactly loaded with those.