Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

You ever see rutting in November?

When I first started bow hunting in the late 70's archery deer would open the day after thanksgiving. We would hunt just about every weekend from that point on and the deer always seemed to be herded up with big bucks chasing does around. We mostly hunted 17a, 17B and unit 10. We sure had a lot fun chasing them even though we never got one. We were young and dumb but having the time of our livesand I've been hooked ever since.

Over the last 15-20 years seems like I don't see much rutting activity until after Christmas where I hunt

When I first started bow hunting in the late 70's archery deer would open the day after thanksgiving. We would hunt just about every weekend from that point on and the deer always seemed to be herded up with big bucks chasing does around. We mostly hunted 17a, 17B and unit 10. We sure had a lot fun chasing them even though we never got one. We were young and dumb but having the time of our livesand I've been hooked ever since.

Over the last 15-20 years seems like I don't see much rutting activity until after Christmas where I hunt

thank you

In northern Units I have seen it a lot through the years , and not just little guys ... Down south start seen small guys sparing in mid November and chasing a little , but nothing like you see in mid to late Dec. through Jan.

Saw a 2x2 chase a doe for 15 mins with his nose to the ground straight out doggin her. She finally was able to give him the slip after which the buck was able to sniff out 3 more doe and proceeded to chased them around for about 5 mins. All this happen during the early rifle hunt(late October) in unit 29.

• Like 1

Watched I nice 3x4 running his nose is a does butt yesterday. He ran her around for about 20 min before she layed down and he layed right next to her.

• Like 1

I watched a 3x and 4x lock horns and push each other around for a few mins at a time in 10 last weekend. They were with about 15 does

Right on. My buddy killed a deer the other day and it's neck was big and looked swollen like he was in full rut, is that indicator at all or is that normal for a mature deer? I'm fascinated that its full rut in other western states but we don't get it here for at least a month? Our elk rut at the same time but our deer are far apart. Is that just the Sonoran genetic, if so why don't the deer on top of the Mogollon rim and in the flagstaff units see a hard november rut? Maybe they do, I really don't know. Thanks for the responses

The further north you go, the earlier the deer rut. bucks on the Kaibab and strip start rutting in November.

• Like 2

Trphy Back when the 3c tag was the first 2 weekends in November 2 out of the 3 years I helped my dad and then his friend the bucks were swollen that second weekend and sparing .

• Like 1

Not much that hasn't been shared but adding support to it. I watched a few coues bucks on this past October hunt down south get into it 2 mornings in a row. The second morning when I was getting to my glassing spot they were about 200 yards away bashing away before the sun came up. An hour later, I watched a 100"+ 4x4 wake up a fork from his bed, give him a couple of pokes with his antlers, and keep feeding on past the fork just because he could. I almost felt bad for the fork. After being waken from his bed, he was just standing there with his eyes closed almost as if he had been getting beat up so bad and often that he was exhausted. He almost looked sick. I couldn't imagine that fork hanging around much longer before he has enough and goes solo. If it wasn't rut activity, it was very close. I have seen smaller bucks full on molest does in 24B starting early December.

• Like 1

I was in 20c this morning and I watched a little buck cruising with his nose to the ground like he was looking for does. Maybe this cold spell has got them confused or something. I don't know.

• Like 1

Not much that hasn't been shared but adding support to it. I watched a few coues bucks on this past October hunt down south get into it 2 mornings in a row. The second morning when I was getting to my glassing spot they were about 200 yards away bashing away before the sun came up. An hour later, I watched a 100"+ 4x4 wake up a fork from his bed, give him a couple of pokes with his antlers, and keep feeding on past the fork just because he could. I almost felt bad for the fork. After being waken from his bed, he was just standing there with his eyes closed almost as if he had been getting beat up so bad and often that he was exhausted. He almost looked sick. I couldn't imagine that fork hanging around much longer before he has enough and goes solo. If it wasn't rut activity, it was very close. I have seen smaller bucks full on molest does in 24B starting early December.

were talking about real deer in this thread, not them little baby deer ;)

but yeah thanks for all the input guys.