chico

THANKS VETERANS

Want to take this opportunity to give a big THANK YOU to all Vets past and present. Hope everyone enjoys the day off if you get it and take some time to think what it is all about .

Again Thanks.

• Like 7

My dad served two tours with the 173rd Airborne Brigade (Sep) from 1966-1967. His company (C/1/503/173rd Abn) was part of Task Force Black during the battles of Dak To in the Central Highlands. TF Black walked into a huge ambush on November 11, 1967 and was almost overrun. Dad was part of the point element since he was a forward observer for the mortar platoon. As dad was laying in the wounded area awaiting treatment, an NVA grenade landed in the middle of the group. PFC John A. Barnes III threw himself on the grenade, saving everyone's lives. Dad held him in his arms as he died. Combat Barnes was awarded the MOH for his actions. The men from C/4/503/173rd Abn broke through enemy lines on November 12, reinforcing TF Black and bringing much needed ammo and supplies. Out of just over 200 men in TF Black, 140+ were wounded, 25 were KIA, 2 are MIA, and 25 walked out without a scratch. Veteran's Day was always much more than Veteran's Day in our house growing up. I won't repeat the things we saw and heard.

The book "Dak To" by Edward Murphy is a great book documenting all the battles of Dak To from June-November 1967. Ed lives in Mesa and is a dear friend of our family.

Dad died April 10, 2004, but his soul never actually came back from Vietnam. His war was finally over.

Happy Veteran's Day to you all. To the families of veterans, especially those families who fight and survive what comes home, you are loved just as much!

Jump School graduation photo at Fort Benning.

post-4869-0-71221800-1447168449_thumb.jpg

On his first tour during a break. 130 lbs carrying 100 lbs of gear. Photo taken by AP photographer and used for recruiting posters. Also in the opening credits of "Quantum Leap".

post-4869-0-23756000-1447168280_thumb.jpg

During a break in a fire mission (according to caption on back)

post-4869-0-30726500-1447168398_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

My dad served two tours with the 173rd Airborne Brigade (Sep) from 1966-1967. His company (C/1/503/173rd Abn) was part of Task Force Black during the battles of Dak To in the Central Highlands. TF Black walked into a huge ambush on November 11, 1967 and was almost overrun. Dad was part of the point element since he was a forward observer for the mortar platoon. As dad was laying in the wounded area awaiting treatment, an NVA grenade landed in the middle of the group. PFC John A. Barnes III threw himself on the grenade, saving everyone's lives. Dad held him in his arms as he died. Combat Barnes was awarded the MOH for his actions. The men from C/4/503/173rd Abn broke through enemy lines on November 12, reinforcing TF Black and bringing much needed ammo and supplies. Out of just over 200 men in TF Black, 140+ were wounded, 25 were KIA, 2 are MIA, and 25 walked out without a scratch. Veteran's Day was always much more than Veteran's Day in our house growing up. I won't repeat the things we saw and heard.

The book "Dak To" by Edward Murphy is a great book documenting all the battles of Dak To from June-November 1967. Ed lives in Mesa and is a dear friend of our family.

Dad died April 10, 2004, but his soul never actually came back from Vietnam. His war was finally over.

Happy Veteran's Day to you all. To the families of veterans, especially those families who fight and survive what comes home, you are loved just as much!

attachicon.gifJump School.jpg

On his first tour during a break. 130 lbs carrying 100 lbs of gear. Photo taken by AP photographer and used for recruiting posters. Also in the opening credits of "Quantum Leap".

attachicon.gifDad Combat.jpg

attachicon.gifBob Mortar Tube.jpg

RIP WARRIORS
  • Like 4

Thanks to all who served!

• Like 2

attachicon.gifJump School.jpg

attachicon.gifDad Combat.jpg

attachicon.gifBob Mortar Tube.jpg

Dam if that don't make ya feel just so humble and blessed, thanks for sharing your Dad's story, we need reminded every day is Veterans Day or we wouldn't have the country we have.

I got pissed off at my class the other day while we were saying the pledge....they were being lazy and sloppy, gave them an over the top lecture on why they should be more attentive and appreciative they get to even say the pledge.

Look how young your Dad is in that picture......dang.....I am going to make sure my 18 year old reads that story.

• Like 4

At the Phoenix DOD induction center, I jumped into the USMC line, promptly failed the vision test (color blind), and quickly ushered back into the USAF line.

I thank God daily fo the peace that existed. peace thru strength and resolve. Some of my memories

26 AD nuke/bio resistant blockhouse,

Luke AFB

.post-11051-0-95402800-1447183503.jpg

Heart of the 26th NORAD warning and weapons/interceptor guidance system, IBM AN/FSQ 7 computers tubes and memory banks deep within the hardened Bunker.

post-11051-0-26229300-1447184162_thumb.jpg

Echo Display over WA state. If an echo came back with out flight plan interceptors launched.

post-11051-0-91097000-1447184324_thumb.jpg

SAGE war room. Would somebody please hit the lights?

post-11051-0-17962300-1447184508.jpg

post-11051-0-55042700-1447184642.jpgpost-11051-0-30559100-1447185234.png

post-11051-0-00172700-1447185265.jpg

• Like 6

Not sure if this is the same event....sounds like it is and I have always loved this song....lots of emotion if you think about it too much!!!

That was two years before dad's last battle, before dad was even in country. As my dad told me, the battles were basically the same, just in different places and with different faces. He did a lot to help other veterans with PTSD as he tried to recover from and cope with his. Dad went to a 173rd reunion in the late 70s and met Larry Joel, the medic from 8 Nov 1965. Dad said Larry was a class act. I've had the privilege of meeting two MOH recipients, both from Vietnam. Both are two great, humble men. One gave me one of his official challenge coins. He was a medic and all he will ever talk about regarding the events that lead to his medal are the men he couldn't save.

Here is "Dak To". http://www.amazon.com/Dak-Americas-Soldiers-Vietnams-Highlands/dp/0891419101/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447186217&sr=1-1&keywords=dak+to

I have an original hardback. Those are extremely hard to find now.

Mike (hoghntr), if you are reading this again, you now know why I was so willing to help a disabled vet with info and the pack out. God bless you, buddy!

• Like 2

At the Phoenix DOD induction center, I jumped into the USMC line, promptly failed the vision test (color blind), and quickly ushered back into the USAF line.

I thank God daily fo the peace that existed. peace thru strength and resolve. Some of my memories

26 AD nuke/bio resistant blockhouse,

Luke AFB

.attachicon.gifSage_typical_building.jpg

Heart of the 26th NORAD warning and weapons/interceptor guidance system, IBM AN/FSQ 7 computers tubes and memory banks deep within the hardened Bunker.

attachicon.gif0041_AN-FSQ_7_AN-FSQ_8_SAGE.jpg

Echo Display over WA

attachicon.gifSID_Close.jpg

SAGE war room

attachicon.gif440px-SAGE_CC-1_Hancock_Field_New_York.jpg

attachicon.gif5a9a8c7322c1f24932b439040806ee30.jpgattachicon.gifimage0024.png

I'm proud to "know" you. Thank you for your service!

• Like 4

Thanks to ALL the veterans who have served or are serving. You are what makes this country GREAT!

• Like 3

IA Born that is an awesome salute brother!

My Dad served in the Marine Corps in Morocco and Vietnam. He was with ANGLICO in Vietnam and was involved with the POW camp at Chu Lai. Taught other Special Operation men how to jump at Yuma Proving Ground before he got out which is how I ended up in Yuma. Like many other Veterans and pretty much exactly what IA Born described, part of my father never made it home from Vietnam.

Big Thanks to all those who have served!

• Like 4

Thanks all You Vets. There would be no America without You all. I gotta call My 95 year old Dad tomm. and thank Him too. He thinks its cool , every once and a while He puts on His original Army jacket from WWII. He is so proud that it still fits. God bless all You Vets................BOB!......................PS ...I'M having a cold one for all of You right now.

• Like 3

Without those that have served, are serving, and will serve none of this thing we call the USA can happen! Every single thing we have, good, bad, and what we take for granted and what we hold dear, happened because of those who paved the way then protected the path! Thank you!!!

• Like 1

Thank you to all of the veterans for their service. Their balls are bigger than mine are.

• Like 1