Afrost27

Late 8 hunt

I just spent the this weekend scouting with only hearing them. I spent most of my time around Coleman and dog town. This is my first hunt in 8 and was hoping someone can share some wisdom of unit 8. I don't have the privilege of a quad or utv. I don't mind my feet and enjoy getting out there. Any tips would be much apperticed.

Get away from the main areas and get away from roads. 15 years ago was the last time I hunted that area before side x sides became popular and the roads were still covered with road hunters. I can only imagine how bad it is now.

Hike, hike, hike.

hunt the rim country of 8 on that late hunt. They have been pushed and chased. Food sources are starting to die back up top. We catch them in the ugly canyons coming off the rim. Glass and you will see them. Then you just have to decide if you want to pack them out of where you see them!

Get a map, find spots that have few roads and hunt those spots. That unit is loaded with elk, it's just a matter of getting away from everyone else. Another tactic I love up there; find areas that hold a lot of elk but will get a ton of pressure opening morning, figure out the elks escape routes, hunt those cause other hunters WILL push them to you.

• Like 1

Hunt the nasty canyons on the east or south side ones that you gotta walk to are way better. Those places are like a fine wine...... Only get better with time...

• Like 3