Sign in to follow this  
Matapuercos

Elk with Marlin 44mag

What's up CW,

I just have a quick question. I got a Marlin in 44 mag and I want it strictly for elk and pigs. Has anyone hunted elk in AZ with one of these? If so what round did you use? Did it take more than one shot to bring it down? Reading on the Internet, people give mixed reports. If the consensus is that it's not enough then I might think about getting a 45-70.

Sorry, I gues is not just one quick question, it's more like 3.

Thanks

Two years ago I was hunting the OTC elk tag with a guy who had a 44 mag Marlin and it layed the smack down on an elk. I believe he was shooting 180 plus grain bullets. JLW needs to chime in he was on the same hunt with me. I believe the guy shot the elk three times, but we all had the same philosophy when it comes to elk, if they are still standing give them some more lead.

I took a cow elk a few years back with a 5.5" Ruger Bisley in 45lc shooting a 300gr hard cast Buffalo Bore that did a pretty good job. Maybe a 25 yd shot. Can't imagine a 300gr 44 mag to be much different. I have carried a 44 mag Redhawk with 300gr XTP's as a backup before on past elk hunts.

I use 444 Marlin for elk. Same 44 cal bullets but another 500 fps. I have done literally hundreds of terminal ballistic tests with 44 cal bullets with impact velocities ranging from 1000 fps up to 2900fps (different weight bullets). In my opinion, any 300gr LBT style cast bullet would be most ideal. Air cooled wheel weight with gas check. I would stay away from Keith Hollowpoints, because in my opinion, with big bore cast bullets, a big meplat is the equal or superior to hollowpoints at rifle velocities (for 300gr bullet, I'd say impact velocities above 1300fps). I've tested, filmed and studied probably over 100 times looking at comparisons at big meplat vs. hollowpoint and big meplat wins at rifle velocities.

If you do not want to go cast, then I'd recommend the Speer 300gr Unicor. It's an awesome jacketed 44 cal bullet for hunting. It's a plated style of jacket, so you'll never have jacket/core separation and it will retain it's weight, expand to great dimensions (over 1" to 1.3"). It will penetrate an elks shoulder with 100% reliability.

The best 44 cal jacketed bullet commercially available is the Swift A-Frame, either the 280 or 300gr variants. The problem with the Swift's is the cost and sometimes hard to find.

With a 44 mag rifle, even with best bullet option, I would try to keep shots under 150 yards and closer to 100 would sure be my objective. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Thanks Sourdough for the recommendation on the speer bullet. I plan on start reloading this spring, once I get everything ready. From what I've been reading the Marlin likes big diameter bullets. I think the unicor only goes up to 429 and I may need between 431 and 432. Maybe something from beartooth might be what I start with. Would a 250 grain hard cast do the job?

It's .431-.432" for cast bullets and .429-.430" for jacketed. Most commercial 44 cal cast bullets are still sized at .430" for some reason. Everybody, who knows our bores, knows that you can't beat .432" yet producers still persist on .430" with commercial cast. That is why they rarely achieve their accuracy potential. They talk about 2" to 3" at 100 yards with cast bullets in Marlin rifles, but the rifles are capable of much better than that if they would use properly sized bullets.

Anyways, like I said, if your using a jacketed bullet, then .429" or .430" is the correct size.

Buffalo Bore has a 44 mag 300gr bonded jacketed load. The bullet in that load is the Speer 300gr Unicor. Problem, is that the BB 300gr jacketed load has the bullet seated out for long cylinder revolvers and it doesn't cycle in the Marlin.

Buffalo Bore also has a 44 mag.305gr cast bullet load. I can just about guarantee that the 305 cast bullet in that load is sized at .430".

Beartooth bullets dot com produces some of the best .432" cast bullets, but they have about a 6 month lead time Marshal Stanton is among the best business owners out there, but he does things the old way and won't change, so you better order now if you want your bullets before next summer. Every bit worth the wait.

Though I tend to favor heavier, I am very sure that the 250gr bullet at 44 mag velocities would be a good choice. Dont worry about penetration, his bullets have a bhn of 21 and will surely bust through an elk shoulder without question.

On the other hand, you could double your range with the 45-70, 450 Marlin or 444 Marlin. Be very careful, Marlinitis is real. You go and get a Marlin 1895 and you are just about a gonner.

Interesting tread. ...

Some years ago my brother gave me a Marlin 1895 in 44mag for my birthday. Out of sheer coincidence it was produced the same year that I was born 1974. Special to me to say the least.

I too have taken out on Javelina hunts but no luck connecting yet. A rifle Elk tag would be the ticket to complete the dream but I have never had one of those. .......

More D

Carolina Cast Bullets sales the Ranch Dog bullets which cycle smooth like butter in lever rifles. His website advertises the 265gr, but I understand if you call him, he will also do the 300gr. He sizes his to .432" as recommended. I am not sure about lead time, but I am quite sure it's a lot quicker than Beartooth.

http://carolinacastbullets.com/

I fully plan to take try and take my cow elk with my Blackhawk in 45LC if the opportunity presents itself. I doubt it will but you never know.

I will be shooting 300gr Hornady xtp or speer 300gr jsp bullets in it.

Harley

• Like 1