Sign in to follow this  
Str8Shot

Woods Canyon 10/3

Not sure if any forum members made it up, but while getting in a little time scouting for my cousins 22 hunt we hit the lake. Fishing was so- so with a lot of 10 - 12" trout and a handful over 12" .. but the site of the day came mid morning... Elk were being vocal later in the day and at one point a Young rag horn decided to swim the lake and come up on shore in the middle of a Big group of people fishing . He found him self surrounded by easily 30 people many as close as 5 - - 10 feet away as he shook the water off and decided to eat for about 10 - 15 minutes. When finished he just took a casual walk up the hill before moving on. I was across the lake on a boat and wish I had a camera, but I am sure many on that shore with cameras got some cool pics.

• Like 3

So what lure will your cousin be using on the hunt?

• Like 2

So what lure will your cousin be using on the hunt?

LOL .... The lake was a plan B and a good one,. With some people you always should have a Plan B when making the drive up north...

Please tell me y'all were trolling with cowbells.

Please tell me y'all were trolling with cowbells.

Nope ... Trolling and casting crickhoppers and pin minnows .... Cowbells did not lure the elk to take a swim :P

Don't ruin it for me, I've already mentally woven quite the tall tale although I was never there.

Man it was about as busy as 4th of July up there .... I was hoping one of the people would piss him off so he would toss and kick a few.. If that had happened I would really be kicking myself for not having a camera to get pics and video.

p.s. the host at aspen said they had been having a lot of issues with bulls and cows tossing and tearing up coolers left at camps eating the goods left inside... Now seeing an elk eating a turkey and ham sandwich on rye would be a picture I want ... I still have a feeling many of those were bear but they are afraid they will not fill the campground if they start telling people the bears are active

Man it was about as busy as 4th of July up there .... I was hoping one of the people would piss him off so he would toss and kick a few.. If that had happened I would really be kicking myself for not having a camera to get pics and video.

p.s. the host at aspen said they had been having a lot of issues with bulls and cows tossing and tearing up coolers left at camps eating the goods left inside... Now seeing an elk eating a turkey and ham sandwich on rye would be a picture I want ... I still have a feeling many of those were bear but they are afraid they will not fill the campground if they start telling people the bears are active

Have never heard of elk getting into coolers. Got an uncle that's been a campground host in the white mountains for 20 years, he's never heard of such a thing, but then I rarely inhabit campgrounds. How gullible are campers? Wish firstcoueswas110? was around to lend some expert testimony.

If I were elk hunting and shot one tampering with my ice chest, could I be charged for baiting with a Yeti?

Have never heard of elk getting into coolers. Got an uncle that's been a campground host in the white mountains for 20 years, he's never heard of such a thing, but then I rarely inhabit campgrounds. How gullible are campers? Wish firstcoueswas110? was around to lend some expert testimony.

If I were elk hunting and shot one tampering with my ice chest, could I be charged for baiting with a Yeti?

Well with the Boat we wanted to be close to the lake plus with all the hunting traffic the 300 and young road areas were a joke ... tossed up a couple hammocks and slept under the stars waking up early Sunday before the rain... Once in my life have I witnessed an Elk tear up a ice chest(about 30 years ago) and it was a stainless steel one that he probably caught some of his reflection on and decided he wanted to fight himself. He was not interested in what was inside just obliterating the metal box hanging from his rack. This is the first time in a campground at that lake ( hate paying ) in over 10 years but the first I ever heard such a story... there were a lot of elk ( cows and calves ) working around the camps though, but when it comes to the coolers I think shady campers and bears are the culprits.

Edge and what other law would you be breaking if that elk was drunk from drinking up the case inside the cooler?

• Like 1

Well with the Boat we wanted to be close to the lake plus with all the hunting traffic the 300 and young road areas were a joke ... tossed up a couple hammocks and slept under the stars waking up early Sunday before the rain... Once in my life have I witnessed an Elk tear up a ice chest(about 30 years ago) and it was a stainless steel one that he probably caught some of his reflection on and decided he wanted to fight himself. He was not interested in what was inside just obliterating the metal box hanging from his rack. This is the first time in a campground at that lake ( hate paying ) in over 10 years but the first I ever heard such a story... there were a lot of elk ( cows and calves ) working around the camps though, but when it comes to the coolers I think shady campers and bears are the culprits.

Edge and what other law would you be breaking if that elk was drunk from drinking up the case inside the cooler?

murder