firstcoueswas80

Coues With Big Heavy Bullets

apparently very few scenar shooters here. i shot literally 1000s in paper. i used a 167 in my 30-06 on two arctic wolves. excellent. one of the wolves for sure heavier than a coues. too bad they do not make a 100 grain scenar to use in your .257. they do make a 90 that would be awesome in a .240 . i feel the bullet for coues in 7mm is the 140 berger. or ballistic silver tip, i like lighter out to 500-600 yards. i have no experience but i would lean toward a 100 grain in the 257 weatherby or even an 87.

Casey, as you know I have had EXCELLENT success with Bergers, however I only shoot .30 cal or larger.... I think that certain calibers like certain bullets... Just my opinion... but I think speed and kinetic energy have everything to do with how each and every bulle performs I have used bullets in a .300 Wby and Hated them, while buddies are shooting the same bullet in a .257 Wby and Loving them... so I would say testing is key...

I am still having great results with the Nosler LRB's but I have been shooting the 168's not the 180's. I shot the 180's in the Dakota but never did put one through a critter after all the time spent shooting out to just past 1K yds.

I will try the scenar's in the 6.5 when I get some time to tinker after the season. This will be my first real go with them.

Ron, a 100-120 gr .257 scenar would be awesome!

I realize the hybrid and scenar are target bullets. A couple days before I killed my buck, I watched a buddy hammer a buck with the exact same cartridge, bullet and velocity as I used. Worked perfectly.

Ron, a 100-120 gr .257 scenar would be awesome!

I realize the hybrid and scenar are target bullets. A couple days before I killed my buck, I watched a buddy hammer a buck with the exact same cartridge, bullet and velocity as I used. Worked perfectly.

Where did he hit it? How far? Did he hit bone? Lots of things to consider besides bullet and velocity.

Didn't you guys hear him, he asked about BIG HEAVY bullets. I am shooting a 120 gr SST out of the 7mm-08 this year. I will let you know how that works. That should answer the question.

Didn't you guys hear him, he asked about BIG HEAVY bullets. I am shooting a 120 gr SST out of the 7mm-08 this year. I will let you know how that works. That should answer the question.

that'll probably bounce off of them

• Like 1

Between my family,friends and I. Probably 20 coues, 8 mulie and half a dozen elk have fallen to the 210 berger out of my 300 RUM in the last 7 years. The only concern I had was at 100 yards my wife shot a buck quartering away that exited in the neck, it was about 8" hole. It was the only cape ruined out of all of them. Coues killed from 100-1130 yards without even one concern. I would rather have a big heavy bullet and hit bone. That is my placement of choice.

• Like 2

Didn't you guys hear him, he asked about BIG HEAVY bullets

Flat - yes. i generally lean to lighter, faster,flatter bullets to 500-600 yards. first coues- i shot some 180's out of my unbraked laredo. too much kick for me. 168's have worked well for me. . the 140's i am still working on to get groups a little better, but once i get there look out coues and wolves. ron

Whats wrong with my super lightweight bullets Casey?

Hahahaha. Dude eating dinner when I read your response just now and almost spit my drink out in Jody's face!!!! That was awesome.

I have watched two very sad coues kills with a 7mag shooting VLD 180s. One was a fairly small buck shot 5 times in the chest before being finished off by another gun shooting different billets. The other was a big buck that just would not die. The hunter put 7 pretty good shots in him at 250 yards before he finally dropped for good.

I have also seen some nice one shot kills with the same set up. Not sure if it is a problem with the VLD or just isolated incidents, but I have no confidence in them. I have friends that are not willing to shoot anything else.

I shoot a 300wsm & my wife shoots a 270win all coues have hit the dirt one shot. From 150-800yrds. The 300wsm is devastating at all yards with a 180gr Sierra game king not the best BC but the gun is dead on out to 850. I've loaded 168 tsx and had to hit the deer three times same goes with the 180 tsx no expansion on bullet but there is a lot of factors in that matter. The 180 GMK has worked the best so far for me and Family. This year I loaded up the new Sierra tipped match kings in 168gr so I'm excited to see how they work. My wife and dad both shoot the sst 130gr out of there 270 and have great success, the bullet never blew through we always find it on the exit side with A bulge in the skin. Let's just say I've never shot twice with the Sierra game kings or hornady sst.

• Like 2