firstcoueswas80

Coues With Big Heavy Bullets

Long range hunting is the new fad, that's pretty clear. What is also clear is the use of the heavy, long, high BC bullets have taken center stage. I'm guilty, as I used a 180 .284" Berger Hybrid last year. I, personally as not impressed with the results. Deer took several shots, although with the way the weather was, I can not articulate where each shot hit, minus the neck shot that did zero damage other then knocking him down for about 45 seconds.

This year I have switched to the 180 Lapua Scenar. Why? I am not sure as they are supposed to be a little more stout then the Berger, but there is a massive thread on another forum with TONS of critters that died due to the Scenar.

Has any one had any issues with the big heavies NOT performing like they are supposed to? I'm mainly interested in the reliability of the big heavies to open on our little coues deer.(not much there to make a big, heavy for caliber bullet expand if no bone is hit) Not so worried about how they work on elk.

A lot of the big heavies are "match" bullets. Not necessarily designed for hunting, and the Coues being so small, might not give them a chance to open up like they need to. On elk though, they flatten them quick.

With that being said, I love match bullets on game, and have had great success with them. From a 69 SMK in my .223 on javelina/numerous coyotes, a 100 SMK in .250 Ackley & .25-06 Ackley on javelina/numerous deer/a coyote at 1327 yards, to 175 SMK from my .300 RUM on elk, and I hope to have Taylor use a 215 Hybrid on elk again this year.

• Like 1

I always thought there was hunting bullets and they work well and there is target bullet that go through and not expand as well.

We have shot 6 Coues with my edge. 300 grn sierras. All one shot kills. Farthest travel after shot was about 20 yards most likely because I shot a buck on the run at 200 yards. Hit him just a little back. Mid body. I should have taken a picture for you. Devastation has been unreal. We have shot them from 80 yards to 876. Couple of neck shots. Couple perfect broadside shots through the ribs. Couple quartering to shots. Most of the time bullet hole entry and about a 2 to 3 inch exit hole. One broadside shot took the top of the heart out and then actually sucked the heart out of the exit hole. Found the bottom 3/4 of the heart in the top of the bush behind where the buck stood. Closest shot at 80 yards was quartering to hard (only one without a big exit hole). Bullet hit in front of shoulder and exited between hind legs. Actually it just poked out the skin. Wasn't really an exit I guess. Entire length of inside body cavity was jello. That's been my experience so far. Most devastating was the 876. Quartering to shot. Hit shoulder a little above point. Every rib was detached from backbone. After skin was pulled off could put a softball through bullet path. I have actually switched to the 300 grn bergers this season. We will see what happens. But my initial tests are.........hit them in the body or neck with 300 grns and they are DRT.

• Like 2

Long range hunting is the new fad, that's pretty clear. What is also clear is the use of the heavy, long, high BC bullets have taken center stage. I'm guilty, as I used a 180 .284" Berger Hybrid last year. I, personally as not impressed with the results. Deer took several shots, although with the way the weather was, I can not articulate where each shot hit, minus the neck shot that did zero damage other then knocking him down for about 45 seconds.

This year I have switched to the 180 Lapua Scenar. Why? I am not sure as they are supposed to be a little more stout then the Berger, but there is a massive thread on another forum with TONS of critters that died due to the Scenar.

Has any one had any issues with the big heavies NOT performing like they are supposed to? I'm mainly interested in the reliability of the big heavies to open on our little coues deer.(not much there to make a big, heavy for caliber bullet expand if no bone is hit) Not so worried about how they work on elk.

what happened to the .257?

I have seen the results of 3 over the last few years with my 300 Win shooting 208 Amax. Devastating when the bullet is put where it is supposed to go, not so much when poor shots are made. There is a certain range for every bullet and rifle combination where you have to make the decision to shoot and expect good terminal performance no matter how accurately you can place the bullet. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

my dad shot an elk with my 300wm 185 vld complete pass thru the lungs pencil holed all the way through zero absolutley zero meat loss. i shot a coues same gun last year 400 yds 1 shot the deer flinched my wife said you hit him so i shot again and again and again then he fell. I knew i didnt miss we get to the deer he has 4 holes behind the shoulder all awsome shots not one of them blew up. to me with the big guns and coues you need to shoot them in the shoulder

In my experience, those big heavy bullets like to poke little holes in these coues deer. Taking multiple shots. Of course there's always exceptions. Not enough animal to deliver optimal energy in many cases. Bullet type obviously plays a big role as already stated.

I'm guilty, as I used a 180 .284" Berger Hybrid last year. I, personally as not impressed with the results. Deer took several shots,

This is where you went wrong.

Technically this is a "Target" bullet and not recommended for hunting. That being said, they can and do work well when hitting bone even on our little deer. I always aim for bone regardless of which style of Berger bullet I am using, I have never had an issue getting through the bone and into the good stuff. I wouldn't give up on the Bergers just yet, switch to the 180 VLD hunting and I bet your results are much more to your liking.

• Like 1

I have killed everyone of mine with my Tikka 300WSM using 180gr Ballistic SilverTips. They all have dropped where standing. One hit the dirt so fast he just disappeared from my scope. I thought I had missed. There was a dust cloud. That deer was below me at about 400 yards away. It was turned slightly but facing me. It had its head down to his side eating. The bullet hit his neck, exited, entered his side and there wasnt a second exit wound. I found the bullet lodged in his hip socket.

I hope to give some terminal performance results on a 285 gn A-Max out of a 338 lapua here in a couple weeks. I cannot imagine a scenario where it won't prove to be effective

• Like 2