Sign in to follow this  
AZhuntingfamily

Growling Elk? Thoughts?

you can use a spent shell casing to whistle in elk if needed - they may answer to just about anything- goose calls - peacock calls -

heard of one that came into camp - stood screaming at a running generator

a friend said I snored one in , one night but I can't say its true or not - lol

I like it when someone says they were hunting elk and some guy was making the worst sounding elk calls he ever heard - "guy doesn't even know how to blow a call" seems to usually turn out to be a huge old bull -

watching young bulls bugle -getting ready to go at each other tearing up trees spar - hear this weird sounding bugle kept getting closer and they basically split - thought fer sure some hunter -- nope big old bull that probably had whipped these young'uns before - they knew his call and decided it wasn't worth hanging around

"wouldn't it be cool if elk still had big ol' sabre tooth lookin' tusks? Lark" ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lark: Don't know if you've noticed it, but all species of deer (except caribou) have small dark marks on their lower jaws that I like to think are holdovers from the time when they had tusks. Water deer, musk deer and some muntjacs still have tusks.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

you forgot the transylvanian vampire deer too. yeah, there are several deer that have tusks still, but i'm thinking elk at one time had some real impressive daggers. be cool it they still did. are the dark spots a remnant also? never correlated it that way, but seems reasonable. Lark.

wouldn't it be cool if elk still had big ol' sabre tooth lookin' tusks? Lark

Would probably mean less hunters/people in the woods. Maybe I could get a tag. I think my choice of weapon would be different.

I am of the belief that they do get hoarse at times during the rut. When things are intense, they just flat out scream with rage and I'm sure their voice suffers from it. That being said, the same bull can and will sound like a completely different bull at times. I've seen it so many times, one time he will scream and snort and cough, the next time it sounds like a recording of what an elk is supposed to sound like. They just do whatever they feel like doing.... Another interesting thing I have witnessed is a bull go through a complete bugle st about 1/10th of his normal volume. Its really cool to watch, I've been really close( within 50 yds) and have had them do this several times. Im not sure the reason but its cool anyways.