Sign in to follow this  
AZhuntingfamily

Growling Elk? Thoughts?

So I set out in the evening and started following a herd, chasing bugles and calling to them to try and get one to turn. I was about an hour into the chase when I heard behind me from a long way off a low grumbling predator type growl that lasted around 5-10 seconds. I paid no attention to it and kept trying to get on the Elk that were up ahead (I figured probably bear or dogs). I let out a bugle, then the growl responded (along with other Elk) and it was a lot closer then before. I moved ahead with the herd and finally got visual of a few bulls pushing cows around so I was planning my route into a good shooting position when from behind me I heard the growl again, this time it was so loud that the hairs on my neck stood up. Call me crazy but the only thing I was thinking was bear oh crap a bear, I have no gun, I froze up knocked an arrow, unbuckled my hunting knife and knelt down. Trees cracked, another growl, more branches broke, another growl (I about crapped myself), finally he showed himself (thank god he was an Elk) and he was big (339 to be exact). He moved past me about 70y in the trees I let out a bugle and he turned on a dime right at me 25y Elk down.

That's the story so the question is what could it be?

He was older with smaller whistlers then most could that be it?

I had seen him in the past pushing cows early in the hunt but he made no noise maybe he was a pissed off herd bull?

laryngitis?

The big big question, if this is a specific territorial sound could I mimic it for my bag of tricks?

I would appreciate the input, maybe this has been discussed before but I havent been able to find the thread. I know I have heard people talk about hearing similar sounds but I never gave it much thought. Not a chuckle, not a bugle, not quiet (as loud as a normal bugle) and lastly it sounded purely predator and scary as heck.

When those bulls are bugling late into the rut, they get really hoarse sounding. Imagine how you would sound if you just ran around and yelled at people all day for about 3-4 weeks. Probably not any kind of specific vocalization, just an old bull that has about lost his voice

• Like 1

We had 1 that sorta barked... best way to describe it...seemed to be challenging the other bulls then they started crackin horns. Wasn't really a bark but a low deep grunt

James

usually they growl because they have rabies. stay away from the growlers. Lark.

Why do I read your posts. Everytime I end up spit something I'm drinking through my nose. You are a piece of work!!

• Like 2

Love hearing them growl, first bull I ever called in,some 40 years ago, I thought was a coyote.

Didn't even know they made elk calls back then.

Ha Ha, yep. The old pipe whistle.
  • Like 2

So old tired Elk with rabies? Im begining to think thats Larks issue as well. Haha

Correct me if im wrong but to bugle they push hot air between the whistlers right? (kind of like Lark). So if its an age thing these bulls can never bugle? My Elk was mature but not too far past his prime.

• Like 1

Ok. I'll correct you. The bugle comes from their vocal cords. Just like a cow moos, only an elk is high pitched and can sound like a whistle. Later in the rut the larger Bulls that have a deeper voice anyway can get a real rough bugle. Their "whistlers" or ivorys, have nothing to do with it. They are a remnant of a tusk that prehistoric wapitis had. Lark.

• Like 5