Sign in to follow this  
newazhunter

Pines or Lower?

I thought with the heat, the bulls would be up way in the pines. But, I've seen several pictures of bulls being taken in the juniper areas (flats). Where would you go on day 1 of rifle?

If I had a rifle tag the pines would be my last option I want to be able to glass a big bull and move in for a shot under 300 yards.

Depends on the unit and where the big bulls are. That being said the lower stuff is what I like..

As already said , depends on the unit. I say transitions imo... and if you are lucky to see any running with cows the night before find the closest water and the thick stuff between , in case you do not catch them in the open before 8 am, there will be a good shot they are hanging in the trees through the mid day.

What whale said... with my limited experience rifle + glassing = more ground covered

James

Also depends on WHICH rifle season. Early or late?

If you drew a coveted early rifle tag, we saw big bulls everywhere from 6600' to 8950' last weekend. Scrub to pine/aspen.

If you drew a late tag, I think it totally depends on weather. Last year was warm, and we saw WAY more bulls in the pines and transition areas. We actually saw very few elk at all in the lower elevations.

Depends on unit and hunt. Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout and when your done scouting, scout some more. You'll find the bulls where they are, then hunt them accordingly.