Sign in to follow this  

the way it should be

Good topic and debate. Sounds like the crew worked as hard as they could to respect the hunt and meat!

As for having to let an animal be overnight it does happen and I don't think its such a bad thing in the right situation. As long as the weather is right I don't see it any different than someone who tracks a wounded animal for 10 + hours. I'd rather let one expire than possibly pushing a wounded animal or crossing a nasty canyon in the dark.

Last fall on my late bull hunt I shot my bull up a nasty canyon right at dark. Hiked three miles out the bottom of the drainage in the dark back to the truck. Then went back in the different side of the canyon at daylight, got to the spot by 8 am found my bull less than 50 yards from where I shot him. Had him broke down and hanging in a tree by 9 am. All the meat was fine. It did take 8 back pack loads and two days to get him out though. I don't really see where my bull was how I could have done it any other way.

Isn't gettin the rest of the job done as soon as possible par for the course?

not if i think i can find a route with my rhino the next morning to pick his butt up
if that's soon as possible, then that's soon as possible
  • Like 1

not trying to cause any debate. these guys knew where the bull was, and didn't take the easy way out, like i've seen so many times. every situation is different and i ain't trying to say they ain't. not trying to question anything anyone has done, just commending these guys and their wives for doing things the best way, at night, in a canyon, in a locust patch. really difficult circumstances. Lark.

• Like 4

Anybody who has been in the situation has a deep appreciation for what it takes, nothing worse for your hunting spirit than to have the opportunity and then lose the animal due to circumstances that you can't fix.

Great to hear they were able to get it done and what a great campfire story for years to follow.

Thats how it should be. However, some crap you just cant navigate safely with a head lamp. I LOVE elk meat I got 266# of pure delicious gold from my bull last year and I am down to about 5-8 # including burger. Even so, with as much as I love elk meat, I will not risk serious injury to retrieve meat in the dark.

• Like 1

My wife, sister-in-law, brother, 13 year old daughter Taylor and I packed out Taylor's bull last year too. Awesome to hear of women helping out like that. Congrats to the hunter and the "pack mules".

• Like 1

the way it really should be is the guys shoulda give their wives the coordinates, stayed in camp and told em wake em up when they got it out. Lark

• Like 4