Sign in to follow this  

the way it should be

heard a story that made me feel good yesterday. some friends of my youngest son were archery hunting in u27. only one had a tag. hard hunt, had a hard time getting on things right, you know how it goes sometimes. anyway, couple days ago, late in the day, the guy shot a 6x6. it ran off into a canyon, in a locust patch and died. they found it, went back to camp and came back with everyone in camp, including the wives, and went to work. took em until 9 am to the next morning to pack it out, in the dark, out of a canyon, in a locust patch. anybody ever hafta work their way through locusts? mean bushes. they didn't shirk and do the old "lets back out and come back in the morning deal" like you see em do on hunting shows so much, and like i've seen a lotta folks do. they gutted, skinned, quartered and packed it out in the dark, women helping and all, like folks should, so it doesn't sit there all night spoil. these guys aren't diehards that hunt a lot, but guys that enjoy the woods and have a good compass and do what it takes to complete a hunt. just thought it was a good story about doing things the right way. Lark.

• Like 18

First off congratulations to the hunter on staying with the program and getting it done . Secondly on treating his quarry with dignity and doing the right thing as it should be done . Congratulations to all his crew that came out to help when it was needed . Good post Lark.

• Like 1

Glad to hear of some success in what seems to be a very rough September for many. I just thought id comment on the leaving an animal over night thing. Sometimes that really is the best thing to do. Obviously it's not the best thing to do if you know you double lunged the animal but if there's a possibility that that animal isn't going to expire right away then coming back in the morning is absolutely the best thing to do. Gut shots and liver shots are the prime examples.

• Like 1

trophy hunter, probly nothing, as long as you cut it up enough it can cool off. i thought it was kinda hardcore for em stay after it all night and i admired their dedication to the animal.

as far as leaving an elk whole, overnight, in any weather, just as well just pack out the horns, because the meat will be soured. even if it's below 0. if you see your elk is dead, you best take good care of it that night, or you'll regret it when you try to eat it. Lark

• Like 2

i don't think the point of the OP was to start a debate on whether or not to leave a wounded animal over night. It was about a couple guys (and gals) working their tail off through the night to get a bull out of a canyon when a lot of people would have just come back in the morning to pack it out and risk losing some meat to spoilage.

• Like 6

trophy hunter, probly nothing, as long as you cut it up enough it can cool off. i thought it was kinda hardcore for em stay after it all night and i admired their dedication to the animal.

as far as leaving an elk whole, overnight, in any weather, just as well just pack out the horns, because the meat will be soured. even if it's below 0. if you see your elk is dead, you best take good care of it that night, or you'll regret it when you try to eat it. Lark

they are hardcore, more hardcore than me lol. and yeah if you leave them all night with the clothes on, youre going to have some spoilage

• Like 1

If you think its ok to shoot a bull late in the day and wait till morning to gut and retrieve it don't invite me over for elk steaks.

• Like 3

leaving elk lay over night is becoming more and more prevalent, especially in units like 27. I think people do it more and more often intentionally so they don't have to pack out so much meat. makes me sick. i have literally nearly hospitalized myself more than a time or two hauling elk out of the nasty with more weight on my back than i care to mention

• Like 3

leaving elk lay over night is becoming more and more prevalent, especially in units like 27. I think people do it more and more often intentionally so they don't have to pack out so much meat. makes me sick. i have literally nearly hospitalized myself more than a time or two hauling elk out of the nasty with more weight on my back than i care to mention

right, whats up with that? btw do you have Instagram?