Rem 700 BDL, 7mm rem mag. Timney trigger, pillar bedded stock, vortex scope. Been trying to load for this gun but it hates every thing I put thru it. Was hopin to get some 175 game kings to shoot but no. Best group 1.5". 162's no, 139 hornady does around am inch but I want a bigger bullet and tighter group. Do I just suck it up and stay with the 139's? Rebarrel to a better one (stock now)? I'm using norms brass, federal match primers and have tried 3 different powders. Shot best with 7838 and 4350. This is the first gun that's messin with me. I even sucked it up and Pm'd a few of the REAL reloaders on here for help lol. They know and do more than me but nothing's worked. I'm thinking the barrel is the issue since it's not like a 2 foot group lol but I'd like under an inch. I took a few loads out to 300 and they opened up accordingly as well

Sounds like you have tried wverything... Mine loves H1000 or Ramshot Magnum and Nosler LR bullets in 168gr.

Pull the stock look for rubbing, check scope bases and screws. You can try polishing it by hand ir with the Tubb's kit if tou want to keep chasing accuracy with that barrel.

That's all I got! Good luck!

Are you the first owner of the rifle? If not, it is very possible the previous owner burned up the barrel.

• Like 1

Factory hornaday 162 sat is a good start. Mine with a barrel with a brux 1:8 loves sierras 175 with 64.5 of h1000. Down to about .38 group. It can get the same with nosler accubond lr 175 and h1000. If it is a burned up barrel you will know. That gun should shot under 1 moa with factory easily under half moa. Adam had a similar issue. Had him very close to.25 and then you could shoot same load 30 min later and opened way up. Good luck

168 or 180 bergers with h4350 is the only thing my wife's will shoot decent, but still not good enough. She got hers new and its been a turd since she pulled it out of the box. She wants a savage 116 now.

I know my post doesn't help with your issue, but I have seen a few posts on here recently about the same problems with Remington. I wouldn't let someone pay me to use a Remington after the last pos rifle I picked up.

Gun is not new, atleast 15 yrs old. I split the difference max loads between my three loading books. Turns out they all were very high for this gun. A few grains before max I was getting pressure signs. Bought all the fancy measuring tools that I've never used before, but still get crap groups. Think I got a used barrel issue.

Could be an issue with the crown. Sometimes a barrel crown will get buggered up a little. The crown damage might not be visible, but can make a barrel shoot everything horribly.

I have an old 30-30 that's my childhood deer rifle. I passed it on to other family members and it took a beating over the years. A few years ago I got it back and reconditioned the rifle I had carried for so many hours in the field. When I started to shoot it after reconditioning the rifle, it was shooting everything I put in it like dudu. A local gunsmith spent about two minutes with some tool on the crown and it made all the difference in the world. Went from barely can hit target at 100 to 1" - 1 1/2" groups at 100.

Sometimes guys will drive around with a rifle in the passenger seat, muzzle on the floorboard. After some time, maybe years, the crown gets a worn spot. This is enough to make you think your barrel is trash. A smith can fix this without too much work.

I have seen several old ranchers 30-30 and .35 rem that shoot horrible due to the crown.

• Like 2

Sometimes guys will drive around with a rifle in the passenger seat, muzzle on the floorboard. After some time, maybe years, the crown gets a worn spot. This is enough to make you think your barrel is trash. A smith can fix this without too much work.

I have seen several old ranchers 30-30 and .35 rem that shoot horrible due to the crown.

bingo. Muledeer has more rifles bouncing around on his floorboards then beer cans.
  • Like 2

bingo. Muledeer has more rifles bouncing around on his floorboards then beer cans.
not this one! And my other truck guns that you've seen, best up and dingy will outshoot this one any day! Haha!

I would try a copper remover and get that barrel as clean as you can. Be sure to foul it before more load testing. Try some slower powder like Retumbo, H1000 or Ramshot Magnum. You said you are getting pressure signs a few grains before max.....are you seating bullets deep enough (not jamming them)? Depending on round count and maintenance it might have built up a carbon ring in the throat.

......or the barrel might be toast. I bought a used Savage in 7mag and it wouldn't group better than 3" at 50 yards no matter what I did. I spun on a new barrel in 260 and tomato staked the old one.