Sign in to follow this  
hesbinrubn

Method of sighting in

Wondering what your methods of sighting in are with a scope without turret adj. Have heard different people like to do different things and swear by their methods. Thought I would see what you all thought. Ready... GO!

i always take out the bolt and look down the barrel. usually gets you real close. even worked on my .375 the other day. at 100 yards you can see big circle with that big ol' bore. took 6 shots to hit the bull dead center. Lark

• Like 3

Wondering what your methods of sighting in are with a scope without turret adj. Have heard different people like to do different things and swear by their methods. Thought I would see what you all thought. Ready... GO!

Do you mean the turrets are not exposed or finger adjustable, like you need a screwdriver or coin to adjust?

I bore sight first. Set the rifle in a very stable position, or a gun vise. Pull the bolt, look down the bore at an object far away and center it in the bore (like an isolator on a telephone or power pole at 200 yards). Then adjust your reticle to that object.

Go to the range, and recheck your bore sight on a target at 100 yards (or 50 if you choose). Adjust as needed. Fire 2 shots and you should be on paper. With your rifle in a vise or very stable rest, adjust your reticle x-hairs from center of target to bullet impact. You should be good. Check a few more shots and fine tune if needed.

Remember, at 100 yards (if your scope is MOA), each click will be 1/4" if you have a 1/4 MOA adjustments. Your scope turrets should tell you this info. So 4 clicks=1" of movement at 100 yards (actually 1.047"). So if you are 3" right, and 1.5" low, you adjust 12 clicks horizontal, and 6 clicks vertical.

i always take out the bolt and look down the barrel. usually gets you real close. even worked on my .375 the other day. at 100 yards you can see big circle with that big ol' bore. took 6 shots to hit the bull dead center. Lark

How'd your 7/08 shoot with that new brake? Tame that vicious recoil?

• Like 1

As do Lark and lancetkenyan, I bore sight first. Then I do what my South African friends do. I shoot a round at 25 meters, adjust as needed and fire one more shot at the same distance. Depending on the caliber and load, if the round prints 2.5 inches high at 25 meters, it usually will shoot to the same height on a target at 100 and be in a deer's kill zone out to 300 yards.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1