Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Bass fishing for a beginner...

Dang, thanks everyone for all the input! I forgot that I do have a spin cast rod/reel as well. So either the spinning reel or spin cast would be good to go right? As for the line test, I'm not sure whats on them right now. It's just the line that came with the combo when I bought them new. So I'm guessing 4-6lb test? Would that be ok to use?

open water 6lb is plenty, if youre in cover you might want more. 8lb is more common but i just like 6, i feel like i get a couple more bites. i probably dont.

• Like 1

Red Krawler color robo has been my goto at the Salt River lakes, and I prefer size 2 drop hook and 1/8th finesse drop weight, and 8lb P-line/flouro, as said above, all personal preference. Get out there with a drop shot and any variation of the advice above, keep in contact with the bottom, and you'll get bit.

• Like 2

Dropshot some robo worms with any spin cast/bait cast combo.

don't be a fairy wander ;)

JB good posts above. And make your fairy wand comments but you know that is a great way to get a beginner hooked. They'll look towards reaction baits soon enough!
except you get mostly dinks, and retie more then you fish. Our waters down here are fairly dirty. Use braid with a reaction bait and youll only go to fairy wanding when youre desperate. Throw a frog right now and youll never dropshot again lol.
  • Like 2

except you get mostly dinks, and retie more then you fish. Our waters down here are fairly dirty. Use braid with a reaction bait and youll only go to fairy wanding when youre desperate. Throw a frog right now and youll never dropshot again lol.

Gotcha, with geographic consideration it seems you are spot on. I don't fish down south so I can't attest to size but myself and every guest on my boat this summer has put a 6lb + fish in the boat from Sag and Canyon on my robo setup described above and we've had a couple in the 8lb range.

I usually set up my guests with a DS and I crank a lot, then I'll switch them over if it's producing. I lost a fish at Sag 3 weeks ago on a Rapala that I swear shattered my 10-11lb PB. She spit it halfway to the boat when she couldn't get her fat self out of the water.

• Like 2

w

Dropshot some robo worms with any spin cast/bait cast combo.

don't be a fairy wander ;)
JB good posts above. And make your fairy wand comments but you know that is a great way to get a beginner hooked. They'll look towards reaction baits soon enough!

this guy. gtfo frog man.

• Like 2

For drop shot I prefer a littler bigger hook than most and use a 1/0 owner DS hook. I feel they hold on a little better for the bigger fish. 8lb pline flouro and even 10 lb at times because I will pitch into brush a lot. Also prefer a medium action spinning rod. Like everyone else said its all preference and trial n error. You'll figure out what u like after breaking off a few and loosing a few.

Also I used to only trout and catfish until I started bass fishin. Once u get into it you won't want to go back to the others. One thing I had to learn real quick was bass have hard mouths unlike trout. When u get bit don't be scared to set the hook. My step dad always told me to make the dam thin go cross eyed. Oh and hook sets are free. If you even think it's a bite or just feels heavy set it. You'll eventually learn the different bites.

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

I agree drop shotting is for woman. Throw a spro if you can get on a top water.. hang on tight! Most importantly post some dang Ol pics

• Like 2

YouTube!

Watch the pros and their vids then pick out a fre techniques and get after it. Don't get discouraged just take it all in and relax and stay at it.

• Like 1

I agree drop shotting is for woman. Throw a spro if you can get on a top water.. hang on tight! Most importantly post some dang Ol pics

He said he wanted catch fish not haul water.

• Like 1

Bass AKA Green Carp are no problem with a spinning reel so your GTG. I really like P-Line Floroclear line. If you decide to get a baitcaster any of the Abu Garcia Record Reels is what I would choose.

• Like 1

If you ever head toward phoenix are I can show you stuff at lake plesant. Easy ways to de backlash baitcaster and such. Or just to fish let me know.

• Like 1

sneek on the golf courses at night with a surface lure / buzzbait

Wear tennis shoes and loose clothes so you can outrun the security guard.

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for the input! I will be sure to put all of it to the test. When I do I will post pics!

Oh one more question! Is there a certain time of year here in Southern AZ that is NOT good to fish for bass? Certain months that I should avoid fishing? Or is it good year round fishing for bass?