olmos1010

Tuff Hunt so far (22)** Hunt update** with a few pics**

I drove by you Saturday and Sunday AM's. That flippin bike race about took us out on Saturday AM. I heard 4 tag holders were hunting off of HS because off reports of one big boy out there. We saw no other hunters anywhere else in the unit.

I drove by you Saturday and Sunday AM's. That flippin bike race about took us out on Saturday AM. I heard 4 tag holders were hunting off of HS because off reports of one big boy out there. We saw no other hunters anywhere else in the unit.

Yeah we almost got smoked by a couple of bikers too lol. They were coming around those corners pretty hot. I think that big boy got taken today. When I got back from dropping off my wife my ol man said he saw a beast in the back of someone's side by side.

Dang. I never seen him, just heard about him. There definitely seems to be a little bit of a deficit of quality elk in the unit compared to years past.

• Like 2

Dang. I never seen him, just heard about him. There definitely seems to be a little bit of a deficit of quality elk in the unit compared to years past.

X1000

For sure, too many tags during the later hunts.
  • Like 1

Good luck, I hope they pick up for you. That's rough when they're quite and it's to wet to sit on wallows.

• Like 1

Hells gate is 22n

Hells Gate is 22s ... If you look on a flat line map it may show on the north map but the 260 is the divider for north and south Tonto creek west to the salt is the boundary... Still Canyon east toward sweet water tank right on the north side of Hells gate always had good numbers of Bulls in it...

• Like 3

I don't think the numbers of bulls is the issue, the rut is not on yet, I see tons of reports of bugles but they are just talking and not rutting. We had same issue in 5bs. We had tons of action but they wouldn't come in to calls and spikes and rags are with the cows just feeding. We were just getting out ahead of them and ambushing and we had 6 or more in range but my buddy couldn't get a clean shot. Looking like the rut will be full on for the rifle guys but the archery has been nothing like I have heard it usually is. We found bulls everywhere we went they just were not talking or talked very little. All said it was one of the best hunts I have ever been on. My partner is still up solo, I had to return to work after burning all my PTO. Lol

• Like 1

Ya I no, got his wife on some good bulls and now I've heard from them since Wednesday, hopefully there packing

Ya I no, got his wife on some good bulls and now I've heard from them since Wednesday, hopefully there packing

Big thanks to you bud, your Intel was spot on and we seen a lot of bulls. Couldn't get any in to range as they weren't very aggressive. Just got home after 10 days in the field, dog tired. Wife did end up knocking one down this morning. Talk about getting it done in the 4th quarter. I'll post pics and story later, got to get some sleep now. Thanks again Wildwoody.
  • Like 7

Just wanted to give a quick update on my wife's early Archery hunt. After a long 10 days in the field my wife finally got to wrap her tag around her first archery bull. She was a trooper and I couldn't be more proud of her. It was a tough hunt filled highs and lows. From close encounter's to missed opportunities on some nice bulls she finally got it done on our last morning to hunt. Not the monster we were after but I couldn't be happier with the end result. We are blessed. Thanks again to Wildwoody and all the other members who gave advice on this hunt.

post-4177-0-40114700-1443671797_thumb.jpg

post-4177-0-20538800-1443671922_thumb.jpg

post-4177-0-62394300-1443672289_thumb.jpg

post-4177-0-63376200-1443672438_thumb.jpg

• Like 16