MT_Sourdough

rut timing

OK, so the antlers are scraped clean. The wallows are getting throttled. At 2 in the afternoon, a bull bugled at me. It seems to me that the rut could start whenever some cold autumn fronts roll in. I am NO expert about the subject, so I ask those who know - Am I right by saying the rut could be kicked off at this point if a cold front rolls in or is there something else that kicks off the rut?

025_zps111gkz7h.jpgThis bull has been chasing a small group of cows the last few days. (cam date is incorrect- this pic is from a couple of days ago.)

From what I hear it has started?

What units, I've been up in 22 almost every weekend for the past month but I've heard minimal bugals. Mostly from smaller bulls early in the morning. With all this weather I'm thinking it could be anytime now. I'm hoping it starts soon cause I've got 11 days starting the 11th to try and get my wife on a decent bull.
  • Like 1

OK, so the antlers are scraped clean. The wallows are getting throttled. At 2 in the afternoon, a bull bugled at me. It seems to me that the rut could start whenever some cold autumn fronts roll in. I am NO expert about the subject, so I ask those who know - Am I right by saying the rut could be kicked off at this point if a cold front rolls in or is there something else that kicks off the rut?

sounds like it already has mate.

• Like 1

Where I have been it's definitely started. Bulls fighting and bugling their heads off. Earliest I remember it. Not sure the real big bulls have started getting cows yet though. Lots of smaller bulls running with the cows.

• Like 1

Anyone seeing any rut activity in units 4 or 3C? Im dying to check my cams but cant make it up for a few more days. The weather is suppose to get colder all this week then right back up to high 70s.

Was cool n overcast yesterday, had 3 bulls bugling their heads off at each other entire time I watched them at 2pm, plenty of tree raking and movement, 5,000ft elevation.

DAN

post-529-0-41792900-1441197913_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone seeing any rut activity in units 4 or 3C? Im dying to check my cams but cant make it up for a few more days. The weather is suppose to get colder all this week then right back up to high 70s.

Nothing in 4b as usual but 3c has been going well. Lots of bugles in the morning.

Seems Pre-Rut is gearing up smaller bulls starting to chase cows who will be taken from them in the coming weeks .... I would expect full on rut conditions to kick in 3rd and 4th week of September if temps keep dropping at this rate could see that first overnight freeze by the Third week of Sept. and you have the full moon on the 28th ... If I recall a few years back it was similar but then a heat wave seemed to put a stall on it.