kazpilot25

Anybody use a Thermacell for bugs?

So what do you do if you are above 6,500 ft. elevation. I would buy one but I am hunting at 8,500 ft and don't know if it would stay lit. Citronella candles? I had to spray for scouting as with all the rain this year they were eating me alive.

So what do you do if you are above 6,500 ft. elevation. I would buy one but I am hunting at 8,500 ft and don't know if it would stay lit. Citronella candles? I had to spray for scouting as with all the rain this year they were eating me alive.

IN Arizona I have never had issues with them over 6,500 ft. elevation , they do take longer to start and stay lit sometimes but I was always able to get them to go and stay once going. They do make a lamp model that uses matches to ignite they recommend for High elevations ... you can also look up HACKs for thermacells in google/yahoo and learn how to refill the butane (higher quality butane they say lights and burn better especially in high elevations) ... you can even save money by re-coating your own pads.

Great to hear that they work so well. Mostly I'm worried about the flying little pests including mosquitos. Nothing worse than glassing a warm afternoon and having to smack your face to try and kill the little boogers. I just ordered one from one of my distributors, I'll let you all know how it works.

the closer to your face you can get it, the better they work. i use them on the summer bear hunts when gnats are unBEARable (pun not intended). i have had best luck hanging them around my neck.

Had a very difficult time to get mine to work up in 4A/4B/3C. Ended up returning them. Lower elevations they seemed to work good.

I bought one mid-elk hunt three years ago after getting ruthlessly swarmed. I'll never hunt without one and am contemplating getting the lantern for camping. I live in Flag at 7,000' and have never had a problem with mine working. When we're hanging out on the deck in the backyard, I often get mine fired up instead of the citronella candles. I use it for sits and I have it on and clipped to my pack when I opt for still hunting through the woods and it still works. Great investment!

Had a very difficult time to get mine to work up in 4A/4B/3C. Ended up returning them. Lower elevations they seemed to work good.

crazy out of 3 never had a one not work in 3c ... and always used Thermacell cartridges ....