Sign in to follow this  
AZhuntingfamily

4b bloodhounds?

Well I will start off by saying I am new here, first time poster long time lurker. I think this site can be a great source of information and its fun to drool at Elk and Deer pics!

Ok, so my topic. I was lucky enough to draw a 4B bull archery tag for the second time. I was successful the first time but had a close call due to poor arrow/brodhead selection. I struck the Elk at 50y and he ran forever with a pin drop of blood every 100y, I finally recovered him a half mile later by basically following his every individual step. When I flipped him over the arrow was in about 8 inches (I hit him 6 ribs behind the heart as he was quartered away) the arrow struck a rib, slid forward 4 ribs where it finally entered and the last half an inch rested in his heart (It upsets me to think of how agonizing it must have been).

So for me, not finding my kill is not an option, I was scared I wouldn't find my first Bull and I want to avoid that this go around.

So I read a post about a guy who used bloodhounds to find his Elk. Does anyone know someone who provides a service like this? or better yet do any of you Elk loving nuts have a good set of tracking dogs your willing to bring if I need it this year? (maybe a few steaks in it for you ;) )

Thanks!

Guest 300ultramag.

If you shoot a big bull call me I'll help track it. I won't Remebwr the coords either.

• Like 1

I think Dale at Wild Heritage Taxidermy here on CWT has done this with his bloodhound. Might be a bit busy in his shop then though ...

It has come to my attention that there might be some legal issues when using dogs. There is fine line between tracking and hunting. I certainly do not want to put anyone in a position to do somthing illegal. Thanks for the input!

Out of curiosity what was the broadhead you used last time?

Carbon express f-15's. The tip and one of the blades broke on entry. They are garbage in my book. I went to Muzzy 3 blade but they got me nervous because when I shot my Couse in Jan I had a double lung pass through with almost no blood trail. He was quartered pretty hard as well so that might have alot to do with it. Im thinking I'll switch slicktriks.