Sign in to follow this  
Willyhunts2

Labs that test plants

Anyone know of a lab that will test plants to find out if they are poisonous? We had to put our lab down and the vet thinks she ate something on a hike near a creek at our cabin north east of payson. We went back up there and grabbed a few shrooms that we thought could have done it, along with some other plants on the trail. Thanks in advance.

-Will

Sorry to hear about your dog. Never let a dog eat a mushroom. Mushrooms can kill your dogs. I don't know if all mushrooms are Bad for them but who can really tell the difference anyway? Was your lab vomiting or lethargic?

We obviously wouldn't let her eat one but the vet said could be a mushroom or plant and we remembered seeing a few little mushrooms on our walk. We didn't see her eat anything but see through up twice on the hike back out. Was throwing up a lot and couldn't even hold down water then got her to emergency vet and had seisure on the way. They said she had liver and kidney failure so had to put her down the next morning. So whatever she got into it happened fast.

So sorry about your dog. That's terrible. I don't know of any lab for testing, but you can get the plants identified by a botanist and they can tell you if they are poisonous. You could take the plants to an arboretum or a university to get identified. Also there are some websites and facebook pages that specialize in plant or mushroom identification. I imagine most mushrooms are poisonous for dogs, just as they are for people and this is the time of year there are many species of them growing. Even if you find one that is poisonous, you won't be able to tell if your dog ate that particular species, right?

• Like 1

I'm sorry man. Keep us posted on this. Tough loss. Losing a pet like That is hard.

Very sad to hear Your loss. Hope You identify the culprit. We loss 2 dogs in the last month a wife is still having a hard time. Hang in there Bud. .....................BOB!

So sorry about your dog. That's terrible. I don't know of any lab for testing, but you can get the plants identified by a botanist and they can tell you if they are poisonous. You could take the plants to an arboretum or a university to get identified. Also there are some websites and facebook pages that specialize in plant or mushroom identification. I imagine most mushrooms are poisonous for dogs, just as they are for people and this is the time of year there are many species of them growing. Even if you find one that is poisonous, you won't be able to tell if your dog ate that particular species, right?

Correct, we wouldn't be able to tell what she ate for sure but would have a decent idea I think. They wanted all sorts of extra money to try and test her liver to "maybe" find out what it was. Thanks for all the info.