Sign in to follow this  
down2hunt

Elk research project

Not sure if any of you guys/gals read this but there's a lot of heated hunters in GMU 1 and 7E because of this project interfering with our hunts.

JD

314077_10150284891400678_470366836_n.jpg

Notice to hunters regarding a department elk research project:

The department’s Research Branch will be conducting an elk survey methodology study to investigate ways to evaluate and improve the accuracy and precision of our elk population estimates. The project includes trapping and radio-collaring elk, and short-term intensive helicopter and fixed wing aircraft surveys within GMU 1 and 7E to compare various survey methods.

Elk trapping will take place outside of elk hunting... seasons. Aerial surveys will be restricted to the end of August and early September 2015 prior to the elk archery season. As this may mildly impact some hunters, the Q&A below will help answer questions.

Q: What is the purpose of the “cages” being set out in the forest?
A: These are elk traps designed to capture individual animals without harming them so that we may fit them with radio-telemetry collars as a part of a research project. Elk will be released on site immediately after being fitted with a collar.

Q: What is the purpose of the research project?
A: The primary objective of this project is to test and compare various survey techniques to improve accuracy and precision in estimating elk numbers.

Q: Why are there helicopters flying low and slow in the forest where I hunt?
A: Observers in the helicopters are conducting aerial surveys for elk to test several methods so that we may more closely monitor elk numbers. As they are testing several different methods, helicopters may fly slow and low to allow observers to gather necessary data for comparing survey methods.

Q: Are these additional flights designed specifically to interfere with hunters and reduce hunt success?
A: No, the hunting public is an important and valued customer of the Arizona Game and Fish Department. These efforts are designed to improve accuracy of our elk surveys to better inform herd management decisions.

Q: Will this improved accuracy result in reduced elk permits and affect draw success? Or, will it result in increased elk permits that may affect future hunt success?
A: No, this effort is independent of specific elk herd management objectives. However, improved accuracy in survey data will aid managers in making more informed decisions about elk population management and hunting regulations.

Q: Can I legally harvest a collared elk?
A: Yes, this policy is spelled out in the hunting regulations, and marked or collared animals can be legally harvested. All we ask is that ear tags (or documentation of ear tags) and the collar be returned undamaged to the nearest Arizona Game and Fish Department office.

Every year that I went Elk hunting something was different from other years. Rancher let out heifers, people camped right in the middle of the hunt area, woodcutters cutting wood, it rained, it was hot, the mosquitoes were awful, no bulls bugling, etc. That is hunting son, adapt. Or are you collecting excuses already.

• Like 3

I don't understand the up roar. They have flown every unit right before the hunt for many many many years already. The way I read it is that it is just a different way of them finding elk. Also, its not during the hunt. Its just another thing to complain about I guess. If I had the tag I would just use it as a clue to where there are elk!!!

There is nothing new here. People are making a big deal about it because they got an email from Game and Fish this time and they haven't in the past. There is always something of this nature going on. When it comes to AZGFD people just like to complain. Nothing is going to interfere more with someone's hunt and stir up the elk more than the other 500 hunters right there with you.

• Like 7

Now, I do not know a great deal about the different Arizona elk herds and their seasonal movement. Nor do I have an issue with what AZG&F is doing in this situation I do know, up in Montana, it is real easy to tell how many elk are out there. That is because by the first of February, about 3/4 of all elk have joined the large wintering herds and have dropped down out of the mountains. They join up on open south facing slopes at the same place every year. You can go out there, year after year, and find them At that time you can count the herd and add 25% and that will come as close as anybody will get trying to count elk populations.

I do not know if Arizona elk form wintering herds like they do in the areas from where they were originally transported.

I want to add, I think the AZG&F are to be commended for an obvious effort to inform and dialogue with the hunting community. I don't think it helps the hunting community if we kick them in the teeth every time they reach out to our community.

• Like 2

There has been perscribed burns too during Elk season. Just deal with it.............BOB!

I believe they are going to be starting in another week. I read about it on the G&F Facebook page on Thursday and they were getting hammered over it.

AZ elk do not traditionally winter the way that elk in the Rocky Mountains do. They might move doe out of the cold but they don't herd up out in the open by and large.

• Like 1

I too was skeptical about some of the projects azgfd and the forest service performed just before and during some hunts I was on in the past. Was I p!ssed, you bet I was but I soon got over it and now have come to the conclusion that you just have to roll with the punches because it's the way it has been for years and years to come here in Az.

First......I hiked in to a water catchment in unit 39 one year, after months of scouting and set up in my predetermined spot 2hrs before daylight. The road in had been gated and established wilderness. There was no signs at the gate where I left my truck but I did noticed some tire tracks on my walk in thinking someone had drove around the gate and had entered illegally to check out the catchment. My muzzleloader was ready and I knew I was going to take the mule deer of my life when I suddenly heard some strange noise coming from far away in the direction I had walked in. As the noise got louder and the morning light was lifting I soon saw what appeared to be blue tarps and material laying next to where I was to shoot my buck. My first reaction was wtf, on opening day, azgfd is going to do work on this tank. All the hard work I put in to this hunt and now for nothing. I was waiting next to the tank when the tractor driver shut off his machine. There's no doubt he could see smoke pouring from my ears. :angry: I was a bomb ready to explode standing there in my camo and he wasn't getting off of that tractor for the life of him. I apologized for my uncharacteristic behavior after I cooled down. He was with the construction crew and was only following orders and said he had no idea there was a hunt going on. This was my first encounter and a well learnt lesson that taught me not to put all my eggs in one basket and to have a plan B, C, and D.

Second..........It was opening day of archery elk season, November, and as the morning light slowly appeared I think I hear antlers clashing up behind my blind. It's not the time of year the bulls would be fighting but I sneak towards the noise, arrow knocked, anticipating seeing two bulls fighting. Then I get a whiff of smoke and realize the noise I was hearing was the crackling of burning wood. I had noticed all the brush piles from the clearing of the forest for months but burning them on opening day of elk season. :huh: I hike back to my quad and drive to my tree stand where my buddy was suppose to be sitting and he is gone. Brush piles burning all around and I'm approached by some workers telling me I have to leave the area. I asked who was in charge of this. He said he is down over the hill but you can't go down there. I won't repeat what I said but down over the hill I went and unleashed a string of words not appropriate for this site. He informed me the forest service has a very short window as to when they can burn and he was just taking orders from higher up.

These lessons definitely helped me prepare to be a better hunter and lessons I pass down to newbie hunters. Always have a plan B, C, & D. I could go on and on but will leave some for the camp fire.

There will always be situations that occur out of character so be prepared. :)

TJ

For many years in the 1970's and 80's i would complain to AGFD about the late notice on the elk tag draw in August when our kids were getting ready to return to school and too late to modify summer vacation plans. Eventually they listened to my whining and many others and changed to the current and more user friendly April elk tag notification system. I have to give AGFD credit that today they communicate much better with their customers than former years and are much more responsive to input.

• Like 1