firstcoueswas80

Carrying Extra Rounds in the Field

I carry a full rifle, and a sidearm. Typically it is my 38 super in a shoulder holster with 2 mags under the other arm. I care 1 extra round for the rifle in every pocket so I have a few easy to get to rounds, but that won't clank with other rounds, and I keep a 10 rd belt carrier in my small backpack with extra rifle rounds and a 12rd pistol round carrier in there as well. If I am down south or a questionable area I might put some extra in too. Better to have an extra pound or two of ammo and not need it then not have it and need it.

I will be carrying plenty of ammo, not that more than 1 round should be needed but I will have at least 1-2 boxes in the truck when we leave the city. Probably most of them loaded up and ready to go too, but then again AR platform makes that easy...

(and I also have a handgun on my side.... ya never know, it actually got use last year!)

sounds like a story behind that one.. care to share?

Do many of you rifle hunters also carry a sidearm? this is my 1st tip to AZ to hunt and I will be south of Tucson. Family I have that has hunted area said they not normally carry, but I am thinking the extra few # on my hip is just extra insurance...?

I will be carrying plenty of ammo, not that more than 1 round should be needed but I will have at least 1-2 boxes in the truck when we leave the city. Probably most of them loaded up and ready to go too, but then again AR platform makes that easy...

(and I also have a handgun on my side.... ya never know, it actually got use last year!)

sounds like a story behind that one.. care to share?

Do many of you rifle hunters also carry a sidearm? this is my 1st tip to AZ to hunt and I will be south of Tucson. Family I have that has hunted area said they not normally carry, but I am thinking the extra few # on my hip is just extra insurance...?

Always, no matter rifle, bow hunting.... always.
  • Like 1

I agree completely for all the reasons you gave I have just been lazy lately. The Ruger P89 is heavy, the Kimber is also and too nice bang around. I keep saying I am going to get a concealed carry/pack gun just need to do it.

I shot my lion with a scoped rifle at about 15 yards. It scared the snot out of me since it was about 20 feet like yours when it showed up, seemed more like 5. I was using a hand call and never heard it coming and then took a minute to even register what was staring at me. Fortunately it finally walked of a few feet so I could shoot it in the back like a man.

LOL! Thanks for the laugh!

Save yourself $400 or so, buy you a used xd-40, 9 or 45 or Glock 22/23 and call it a day My xd has seen some serious carry time, been refinished twice and still shoots like a house'a fire! I never jump in my truck to go into the woods with out it!

I have settled on an XD or an M&P probably in 40 for my next purchase. I really like the feel of the XD it fit my hand better than the Glock.

Mine as well. As mentioned, I have had mine for a long time, and made some spectacular shots with it (the best was a called head shot on a jack rabbit, about 40-60yards away, memory is a little hazy, after a member who had bragged about how his 460 SW was soooo deadly to 150, missed a rabbit at like 50... The called head shot shut him up REAL quick, it was awesome!).

It also sits by my bed with a light incase it is needed around the house. I LOVE my XD.

Just be careful not to dent/ding the plastic tip/point of a bullet or you will ruin it

Just be careful not to dent/ding the plastic tip/point of a bullet or you will ruin it

Funny you should bring that up. When I posted this, the story Larry told me of the messed up tips popped in my head.

I always carry a sidearm no matter where I am hunting or what I am hunting. Down south I have been known to carry quite a bit of extra ammo and sometimes even a 2nd sidearm.

Harley

What are you guys carrying so many bullets for???? How many deer are you gonna kill?? Lol.... a pocket full of rounds for me!!!!ha

I used to carry ten extra rounds for my rifle in a fancy goatskin "cartridge wallet" from Spain that I wore on my belt. (It was much like the one firstcoueswas80 uses). I lost it in the Canelo Hills one day when I stopped behind a bush and didn't notice that it had slipped off my belt when I got up to leave. Since then I've simply put two or three extra rounds in my jacket's pocket. I'm glad to know they sell similar things at Sportsman's.

Bill Quimby

What are you guys carrying so many bullets for???? How many deer are you gonna kill?? Lol.... a pocket full of rounds for me!!!!ha

My rifle pictured is a single shot. Plus, there is always an opportunity for a lion or coyotes to lose their lives while I am out hunting other big game.

My rifle pictured is a single shot. Plus, there is always an opportunity for a lion or coyotes to lose their lives while I am out hunting other big game.

and Don't foget Willy, aka Songdogs, aka yotes..