firstcoueswas80

Carrying Extra Rounds in the Field

I think this topic has been brought up and discussed before, but since I can not find what I carried my extra rounds in since my wifes December hunt, I figured I would bring it up again.

I always use the Butler Creek rifle sling that holds 4 rounds. Quick, easy and they're pretty secure in the sling.

Last year, I found a pouch at Sportsmans Warehouse that held I believe 5 or 6 bullets per side, but interlocking (think of an alligators teeth), with a snap that went over the bullets and pulled the two lines of bullets together. I really liked that, but cant find it so Ill be on the hunt for something like it again. I also carry my rifle full, but not one in the chamber paired with one, maybe two shells in my pocket. (and I also have a handgun on my side.... ya never know, it actually got use last year!)

I put 10-15 in a tube sock and spin it a few times and throw it in my pack. Keeps them from clanking around. I always seem to have a few in my jean pocket too.

I too keep my rifle full (chamber clear) and have used a cheap Allen rifle stock pouch. I believe it was around $11-12 at sportsmans. It's not too bad for the price, It holds 5 on the outside and it has a small zippered pouch that I keep 2-3 more rounds in.

lg_1199730_1%20allen_zpsb15ezn9a.jpg

if I take my Tikka I carry an extra MAG with ammo in it. if I'm using my SAKO I just put a rubber band around 5 rounds and put them in my pocket.

What do you guys need all that extra ammo for?...............lol, jk.

• Like 2

Str8shot. I've been looking for those. Thx for the link.

I have a cheek pad like pelapapas but I don't have the exterior bullet holder. I always have two down in my gun clip and usually three in that little side pouch. And extra in the back pack just in case.

• Like 1

I used to take 5-10 rounds, but with all the Crazys, drug runners etc I always have at least a box with me just in case I need them. I use the stock ammo carrier, butler creek I think, a full magazine and the rest go in my pack wrapped in paper towels or something to keep them from rattling.

3 in Gun, 4-5 in pocket . Thats it. You need more than that You shouldn't be huntin.................BOB!

• Like 1

if i can't kill something with one shot then I just use my bare hands. One time I just looked at a coues and it died....seriously. (it could have been that my bullet double lunged it but I'm no Dr.)

It depends, in 22n on the late hunts I think they carry extra rounds in 5 gallon buckets. At least that's what it sounds like.

• Like 1

I normally roll with 4 in pocket and an 8pack in back pack. I am a believer that keeping the bullets in pocket keeps bullets the same temp at all times. I tested it once at the range and the bullets out of pocket shot the best. So whether it's 0 degrees or 110 bullets should be around same temp as body temp. But my gun likes the 90 temps for some reason that's when she shines😬

The 8 in the pack are for that one time when the mountain side is gonna light up like a zoo! Lions, Bobcats, foxes, coyotes, and bears running everywhere it's gonna be great when that day happens😬lmao. I can dream right!