Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

.22-250?

7 times ain't the cartridges fault....

4 times in the boiler room, once in the neck.. Who's fault is it then?

Tell us about the projectiles recovered from the 4 hits in the "boiler room". Properly expanded? Pass through? Fragmented? 350 yards is where most .224"s lose it.

"Energy? Not a good ballistic term"

Energy is the measurement of bullet weight and speed.

What better term do you suggest??

I certainly did NOT say "Knock down"

More D

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, friends and I used to hunt the Texas Hill Country every year for maybe 15-16 years. The limit was four deer then, so I probably shot 20-24 deer with a .22-250 and 60-grain Sierra handloads before I switched to using flintlocks and percussion muzzleloaders. These little whitetails are about the same size as our Coues deer, and I never had to shoot one twice nor track one more than 30-40 yards with a .22-250. Hit a Coues deer in the heart/lungs with one at distances under 200 yards and get your knife out.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I've killed 3 bucks with my trusty 22-250 farthest kill was 302 one shot. Another at 285 same deal one shot and the last one was about 100 yrds one shot. All were shot with a 55gr ballistic tip.

hey guys, "energy", "knockdown", "ft/lbs", whatever you wanna call it, are purely fictitious numbers on a piece of paper when it comes to shooting animals. take a certain weight bullet, shoot it a certain velocity, and you get a certain number. a number that means absolutely nothing when shooting animals. say a bullet develops 2000 ft/lbs. the best way to describe what that means is to picture this: you have a 2000 lb weight hanging from a rope. you hit it dead center and it will swing a foot, theoretically. when you shoot an animal, the bullet pierces it, then it expands, losing energy the entire time. different bullets react differently. hollow points, plastic tips, fmj's, copper bullets, spitzers, etc, all react differently. when you try to say that certain calibers are no good after certain ranges it is a bad argument. it depends on too many variables to be a good measure. use a bullet that is designed for what you want to do, and go shoot something. of all the numbers that have true value in shooting, "knockdown" is the least important, and is basically useless. shoot a good bullet out of a .22/250 and shoot all the deer you want. i've dropped coyotes dead in their tracks at 700 yds with mine. shot a lotta deer and other stuff too. dumped muleys where they stood with mine. if you're shooting an animal a buncha times, you're probably not hitting where you think you are and you might wanna change bullets. if you're hunting big dangerous animals, then you want to use big bone crushing caliber that nothing will stop, with a bullet made to kill big stuff. if you're hunting coues deer, then use something appropriate for that purpose. don't use numbers to make your decision. it all come down to marksmanship and using the proper bullet for the job. Lark.

• Like 2

hey guys, "energy", "knockdown", "ft/lbs", whatever you wanna call it, are purely fictitious numbers on a piece of paper when it comes to shooting animals. take a certain weight bullet, shoot it a certain velocity, and you get a certain number. a number that means absolutely nothing when shooting animals. say a bullet develops 2000 ft/lbs, or lbs/ft, whatever it is. the best way to describe what that means is to picture this: you have a 2000 lb weight hanging from a rope. you hit it dead center and it will swing a foot, theoretically. when you shoot an animal, the bullet pierces it, then it expands, losing energy the entire time. different bullets react differently. hollow points, plastic tips, fmj's, copper bullets, spitzers, etc, all react differently. when you try to say that certain calibers are no good after certain ranges it is a bad argument. it depends on too many variables to be a good measure. use a bullet that is designed for what you want to do, and go shoot something. of all the numbers that have true value in shooting, "knockdown" is the least important, and is basically useless. shoot a good bullet out of a .22/250 and shoot all the deer you want. i've dropped coyotes dead in their tracks at 700 yds with mine. shot a lotta deer other stuff too. dumped muleys where they stood with mine. if you're shooting an animal a buncha times, you're probably not hitting where you think you are and you might wanna change bullets. if you're hunting big dangerous animals, then you want to use big bone crushing caliber that nothing will stop, with a bullet made to kill big stuff. if you're hunting coues deer, then use something appropriate for that purpose. don't numbers to make your decision. it all come down to marksmanship and using the proper bullet for the job. Lark.

^^ This thread has been the same as I have seen for many "Not big enough calibers" There are some out there that think nothing less than .30 is good for hunting, and even then 300wm is required. It is very common to see in regards to the 300blk, "It was designed as a subsonic round, it is not for hunting". Fact is today's bullets perform better than ever before. the 300blk as an example is so popular that some of the big bullet markers have develops are are releasing more and more bullets designed to fully open at subsonic speeds. If a arrow traveling a <280fps can pass thru an animal and kill it quickly, why do people think a bullet traveling 6=700fpds+ cannot?

The most important parts are:

• KNOW your weapon and it's effective envelope. 300blk is not a round I would use on game @500yrds, even supersonic..
  • KNOW YOUR limitations. Just because you are shooting 300wm that can take a coues @ 700yrds, does not men YOU are capable of hitting a 10" target at that raneg EVERYTIME you pull the trigger with that weapon. That is where lighter recoiling calibers shine, no flinch for more trigegr time and better consistency..

"If a arrow traveling a <280fps can pass thru an animal and kill it quickly, why do people think a bullet traveling 6=700fpds+ cannot?"

Because you are comparing apples to oranges. Arrows kill by cutting and hemorrhage. Hence the reason broad heads must be razor sharp, to cut rather than push tissue out of the way. Bullets kill by hydrostatic shock and crushing force, temporary wound channel vs. permanent wound channel.

​.270 said it right. The bullet construction is the important part. I can take my .222 Rem and have varmint rounds and not kill a deer. I have plenty of energy but the hollow points "blow up" and don't penetrate. I change to a lead nose bullet, with a different construction, hit with the same energy and kill deer. The only reason you need energy is to make the bullet perform the way it was designed.

Now for the stupid term "knock down power". There is no such thing. The law of physics state for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The force that hits an animal can be no more than the recoil you feel. I haven't had a rifle knock me down yet.

I met an Alaskan Indian who killed Moose with a .22. He also smoked special tobacco from Kentucky mixed with punk in his pipe. So you need some punk in you to make a good shot.

I have killed 3 mule deer and 2 lions one shot kills all further that 200 yards with my 22-250 loaded with 55gr varmint bullets.

Using a 22-250, I can kind of see... I had one and it was flat out STUPID accurate. No recoil, fast etc. Ida used it IF I didn't have any other rifles...

But using varmint bullets??? You guys are flat out asking for trouble. I've seen varmint bullets not penetrate and not exit coyotes and javelina.

In MY opinion, if one is going to use a marginal caliber, and let's face it, 223 & 22-250 are marginal at best, one should use a premium bullet. We as hunters owe that much to the animal.

• Like 1