Sign in to follow this  
Hunter4Life09

Bolt finishing

I had my bolt fluted and sand blasted now I need a black finish. What are everyone's opinions on a good finish what's not going to chip or scratch easily? Any info will be greatly appreciated

post-4030-0-09651700-1439160734_thumb.jpg

Cerkote or KG Gun Coatings. Both companies make a product that have lubricating properties that work well for bolts (Micro Slick is the Cerakote product) but it's not black in color. The ultimate coating for a bolt in my opinion is Robar NP3 but once again it isn't black.

The NP3 finish is pretty awesome! Had my duck hunting partner NP3 the inside of the receiver and any other part Robar felt was nescesary on his semi-auto 10 gauge. That thing was so smooth, and did not rust even with all the salt cedars.

Cerekote is a good durable finish. I would only do the bolt body though. Tape off the lugs (and bolt face of course). I had mine done with cerekote H series, lugs included, and the added material made the tolerance between the bolt and the action way too tight. It was not smooth. I ended up sand blasting it off.