devinv

trouble sighting in..

dont mean to beat a dead horse but went out to the rio salado range today to shoot, my results are way different then what the ballistics calculator says on biggaminfo.com i was dead on at 25 yards, 4 inches high at 100 yards, and dead on again at 300. i assumed since 200 is between 100 and 300 i would be 2 inches high still, dont know if thats neccessarily correct but it worked. naturally you can only set up a target out there out to 100 yards, and at 200 and 300 its metal plates. either way i figured out what by gun shoots at up unil 300 yards, wish i coulda shot at 400 or 500. shot off hand at the 300 yard pie plate and naled it several times.

Devin the highest point on the arch of a rifle bullet sighted in at 25 yards is between 175 and 190 yards.So if you are 4 inches high at 100 and dead on at 300 I would suspect you might be as high as 5 to 6 inches at 200 yards. Once the bullet loses energy it drops like a rock after 300 yards. Yes even the flat shooting magnums. you might want to lower the 4" inch high groups at 100 to 3inches, but if you are hitting pie plates offhand at 300 maybe you should enter some shooting contests because that is pretty good.

Bob

dont mean to beat a dead horse but went out to the rio salado range today to shoot, my results are way different then what the ballistics calculator says on biggaminfo.com i was dead on at 25 yards, 4 inches high at 100 yards, and dead on again at 300. i assumed since 200 is between 100 and 300 i would be 2 inches high still, dont know if thats neccessarily correct but it worked. naturally you can only set up a target out there out to 100 yards, and at 200 and 300 its metal plates. either way i figured out what by gun shoots at up unil 300 yards, wish i coulda shot at 400 or 500. shot off hand at the 300 yard pie plate and naled it several times.

Devin the highest point on the arch of a rifle bullet sighted in at 25 yards is between 175 and 190 yards.So if you are 4 inches high at 100 and dead on at 300 I would suspect you might be as high as 5 to 6 inches at 200 yards. Once the bullet loses energy it drops like a rock after 300 yards. Yes even the flat shooting magnums. you might want to lower the 4" inch high groups at 100 to 3inches, but if you are hitting pie plates offhand at 300 maybe you should enter some shooting contests because that is pretty good.

Bob

you might be right, well the pie plate a 200 is only 6x6 inches and i aimed only 2 inches low and still hit it. but yes, i did hit the pie plate offhand at 300, the couple older gentlemen next to me and kinda looked at me like waiting to see if i was gunna even come close, hit it several times, both just kinda had a blank stare. haha. and one of them came and talked to me and offered for me to shoot his brand new 50 cal anti sniper rifle. that thing was sexy but kicked like a mule.

i just went back to the ballistics calculator and did a zero at 300 and it gave me a reading at 4 inches high at 100. guess that kinda solves the mystery

4 inches high at 100 is pretty high for a 30-06, i would get about a 200 yard zero, which should be about 2 inches high at 100... wheni was shooting my 30-06, i was sighted in between 1.5 and 2 inches high at 100 and had no problem killin my first coues at 350 yards.