devinv

trouble sighting in..

With a 30 06 and a 165 grain bullet what would you sight in at 25yrds?

Thanks .

I start at 25yds with all calibers.

BOB

I was asking how high I should sight in at 25 yards.

I was asking how high I should sight in at 25 yards.

If you sight in 1/10 of an inch high at 25 you would have this

Yards inches

100 3.3

200 2.7

250 0

300 -4.5

If you sight in 1/2 inch high at 25 you would have this.

100 4.8

200 5.7

300 0

350 -5.8

These figures are with a 165 grain btsp with a .347 BC shooting 2800fps. As already mentioned you need to shoot these distances in real life. Every gun is different. . Here is the web sight with a ballistics calculater. Hard part is finding the ballistic coefficent for each bullet. It makes a huge difference at long distances so make sure you match the right BC with the right bullet.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

Bob

awesome, thank you! im waiting for my doorbell to ring any minute with my package containing my new scope so i can mount it. then attempt to sight it in tomorrow. the nosler bullets seem to leave to large of an exit wound, id like to try and shoot the failsafe but i cant find a factory loaded round with this bullet. the barnes triple shock sound like a good round too, but again they are not any loaded ammunition with this bullet in a 150gr 30-06, they do make a 165 gr though with federal. but right now the best choice sounds like its gunna be the hornady light mag 150 gr. SP, fastest velocity, knockdown power, accuracy, and a BC of .338. i figured if i sight in at 25 yards, it will again be dead on at exactly 275.

update: mounted my new scope, i was gunna have a gunsmith do it so everything was level but the place i called wanted 50 an hour, plus 5 to bore sight it. i opted to mount it myself, i wrapped some electric tape around the scope where it was gunna sit in the rings to fill any gap after mounting the top part of the ring, then turned the scope till the crosshairs looked level to my eye, i guess thats the best i can do until i get out there and start sighting it in. any other suggestions?

Take a sturdy cardbox--for lack of anything else and notch it to firmly cradle the gun. Put some rocks or bricks in the box for more stability. Set up a target 25yds from the muzzle. Take out the bolt. Look through the barrel and move the box or target or both to center the bull as best you can. Then, without moving ANYTHING, adjust the scope crosshairs to that location.

May sound crude--but that is one way that it was done before bore sighting equipment. Will get you on paper for sure.

Not yet, in california until friday, I'm going to give it a go sometime next week. I picked up a rifle bench rest from bass pro, nothing special but it should help me get the job done.

update: got a chance to go out shooting today. first time shooting with the new mounted scope. set up at 25 yards, surprised i was on the paper without any kind of bore sighting. first few were low and left, another 12 or so shots and i was stacking them in the bulls eye. backed out to 275, has a decent crosswind, all 4 were to the right and 2 inches high. im assuming my zero is gunna be about 280 and centered without that crosswind. really happy with the new scope! and i'm shooting the 150 gr SP light mag hornadys. they are extremely accurate. thanks again for all the help. :P

also, im not sure i can dish out the money for the swaro 15s, read up on the minox 15x58 and the current post about them in the optics section, besides the eye cup issue, what about the quality of glass?.. any comments about them?

also, im not sure i can dish out the money for the swaro 15s, read up on the minox 15x58 and the current post about them in the optics section, besides the eye cup issue, what about the quality of glass?.. any comments about them?

Glad you got it sighted in. That can get real frustrating. As far as eye cups go. I dont use them. I fold them down on all my long range binocs and wear a shirt on my head to block ambient light. i find all eye cups cause some kind of eye strain in long glassing sessions. Although most people on this sight think that Swarvos could cure hemmoroids, even they will cause strain to the eye in long glassing sessions. I would take the cups off my binocs, but i think the eye cups help protect the lens during transportation. Why are you only deciding between two binocs? It is impossible to tell whether you like a binoc in the store. One thing you might try is borrowing or renting a pair of each and look through both to see which one is best for you.

Bob

Well, it seems swaros seem to be optically the best, but they're around 2k. The leica duovoid 10 + 15 seem to be a close second but they're even more. The newer zeiss don't seem up to par, and the older 15x classics are hard to come by. So it seems minox is the third best choice, and for a 750 price tag, it seems like a steal, if the glass is good quality.

dont mean to beat a dead horse but went out to the rio salado range today to shoot, my results are way different then what the ballistics calculator says on biggaminfo.com i was dead on at 25 yards, 4 inches high at 100 yards, and dead on again at 300. i assumed since 200 is between 100 and 300 i would be 2 inches high still, dont know if thats neccessarily correct but it worked. naturally you can only set up a target out there out to 100 yards, and at 200 and 300 its metal plates. either way i figured out what by gun shoots at up unil 300 yards, wish i coulda shot at 400 or 500. shot off hand at the 300 yard pie plate and naled it several times.

having some problems sighting in my rifle, im shooting a remington 710 30-06, and everything i've read seems to be more or less hateful towards them, haha, but i went out yesterday and today trying to sight it in for this fall. i picked up a box of remington core lokt 150 gr and a box of federal 180 gr, max something, the cheap one. i shot from about a 100 yards, couldnt get the core lokts to dial in, i shot the 180 gr federals and i got tighter patterns. they dropped a lot faster so i had to readjust my sights a bit, i was trying to get 3 inches high at 100 yards, at the end of the day, was about an inch high and 2 inches to the right at best, terrible. went out today, bought 3 boxes of the federal 150s this time, went back and forth left and right, finally got them aligned, but couldnt get them around 3 inches high, some would be low, some high, backed out to about 200 and they were scattered. im usually a pretty good shot and have no problems getting tighter groups on other guns i have shot. basically, im dumbfounded, can't get any constant pattern anywhere on the paper. just short of getting a new gun, idk what to do?

Sir I have not yet read all the replies so this may have been covered. I helped build a 710 for my brother-in-law. He had the same problem with grouping. When I took a close look at the rifle I found that remington had not welded the recoil lug to the receiver on this model (DUMB DESIGN). The recoil lug fits into a dovetail groove on the receiver and a groove in the stock. This lug is crucial in tight grooping rifles and oftentimes the first troubleshooting check in a precision rifle. I placed lipstick on the lug and fired the rifle. The lug was not even meeting the stock, hence all the recoil was being absorbed by the two mounting screws. (INACCURATE AS H!@#.) I don't weld but did glassbed the lug to the stock for some stability. Made a huge diffenence in this rifle but bottom line, your not going to get minute of angle groups out of this remington design!!!! Hope this helps.