devinv

trouble sighting in..

having some problems sighting in my rifle, im shooting a remington 710 30-06, and everything i've read seems to be more or less hateful towards them, haha, but i went out yesterday and today trying to sight it in for this fall. i picked up a box of remington core lokt 150 gr and a box of federal 180 gr, max something, the cheap one. i shot from about a 100 yards, couldnt get the core lokts to dial in, i shot the 180 gr federals and i got tighter patterns. they dropped a lot faster so i had to readjust my sights a bit, i was trying to get 3 inches high at 100 yards, at the end of the day, was about an inch high and 2 inches to the right at best, terrible. went out today, bought 3 boxes of the federal 150s this time, went back and forth left and right, finally got them aligned, but couldnt get them around 3 inches high, some would be low, some high, backed out to about 200 and they were scattered. im usually a pretty good shot and have no problems getting tighter groups on other guns i have shot. basically, im dumbfounded, can't get any constant pattern anywhere on the paper. just short of getting a new gun, idk what to do?

try several different brands you might find one it likes . I have an 06 that shows a very definite affection for hornady 165 gr lt mag , so thats all I feed her.

Also make sure she is clean , a dirty rifle wont perform well .

I baught a used 06 a few years ago and it drove me up the wall. Well when i got to looking at it the owner befor me had the scope on wrong. You know how the top one read Up or down 9 Or maybe side to side not sure well in what ever case. I thought i was moving it up and down but really was moving it side to side. So when i relized it was the oposite of my othe rifle i loosend the screws and rotated the scope back to the way my other scope was set up and sure enough in a few rounds it was dialed righ in. I hope that was clear as to what i was trying to say.

Go back down to 25yds and shoot 3 shot groups until you are dialed in perfect at this range. Let the barrel cool between shots. This will put you 2 1/4" hi @100 yds---1 1/4" hi & 200yds and 1 1/2" lo & 250 yds.

But save time and powder by starting with 25yds.

Make sure you have a super firm rest NEVER rest the barrel on anything, take any slack out of the trigger,

take a deep breath and hold it before you SQUEEZE.

Then go ahead and shoot at your longer ranges to be sure.

Check the screws of the rings and base. You may need to take the scope off to get a wrench on the base screws, then replace the scope and tighten the ring screws. Don't forget to check the windage screws on the rear base if you have that type.

Check the action screws for tightness. Check for contact between the barrel and forearm.

If this does not help, you might try a different scope in case yours went belly up.

What is your shooting rest/bench set-up?

Its a 710, get a 700 and ull be good to go! i have a 700 MTN lss 30-06 and it is picky, but it will shoot. hvent hand loaded for it yet, but it will shoot some factory foder well.

My old standby handload for the venerable '06 was 58 gr of H4831 with a 150 gr spitzer. Shot great--but did have some cycling problems in the Rem 742 semi-auto.

The differences you were talking about, it seems unlikely it would be that far off due to ammo choice. Sounds like you are pushing a lot of lead through the gun so if it were me, Id try the following.

Clean gun

Check scope mounts, rings etc.

Verify you have a good rest as mentioned above

Fire 2 shots to clear the barrel, then a 3 shot group with cool down time in between.

If you are still having inconsistent groups after 2-3 sets, try another scope

Still having problems,

have a friend try the same.

Still having problems

Still having problems, try 25yd iron sites

Still having problems, send it to remington and tell them it won't group.

Get another gun if all else fails

Good Luck

Clean gun very very well. I would get some butches bore shine and run three or four patches through it every half hour until the blue is gone. It may even take a few days but trust me it will help. If it is a used gun it could be so fouled it will ruin any accuracy. If you clean the barrel perfect you can get a true reading on what the gun is capable of. The first 2 or three bullets out of the cleaned gun maybe of but from then on should be good.

after looking around on some websites, have some more questions you guys might be able to help me out with, hypothetically assuming each manufacturers bullets shot very well out of my gun, what is a determining factor when choosing a bullet, for coues i know im going to shoot a 150 gr. if it comes down to velocity throughout the ranges, stopping power, expansion, coefficient, etc, after looking at ballistics from remington, winchester, nosler, and hornady, it seems hornady has the highest velocities, and stopping power, the bullet retention in height is the least when dropping throughout different ranges.. would this mean this should be my first choice? besides the issue with a box of horndays is around 40 bucks nd remingtons are 12.. im sure you can see what im trying to get at? any other recommendations? personal choices?

On winchester.com and federalammo.com, you can compare the diff ballistics. Nosler Ballistic tips are generally pretty accurate, as are the Accubonds. Between the 150, 165, 168, 180 grainers there is only 2" diff in trajectory at 500 yards with a 200 yd zero. Might try the 180 as it will have a thicker jacket and tend to expand less. Any bullet 150 and above will work on coues. Just choose the one that groups the best.

From reading your first post, seems like you are having problems getting good groups. What size groups are you getting with 3 or 5 shots? Are you shooting off a bench?

Doug~RR

dont neccessarily want to shoot a ballistic tip on whitetail, yes, if judged accurately they can work perfectly, but if not they can be a tad to explosive. i would like to set up my rifle shooting a good 150 grain bullet for coues, without a ballistic bullet, its nosler accubond, hornadys, or winchester fail safe. so i guess my last option is to shoot each of them and see which shoots the best? and yes i was having trouble getting good groups, i think it may have been because i hadnt looked at the ballistics for the bullets i was using trying to sight in so my height in inches at different distances was off. i would like to get a 300 yard zero on whichever bullet i choose, but manufacturer specs usually are at a 200 yard zero. so i will have to settle for this to make it easiest and just remember where to place my shot at different distances. granted i could try to figure out how much the bullet drops at different distances to get a 300 yard zero but this could be frustrating and a lot of shots being fired.

Seven of my coues have been with 130 & 150 gr BTs from 270Win, 7 rem express, 7RM. All exited. All were behind the shoulder shots. There was usually some bloodshot meat on the offside shoulder. They are a good coues bullet IMO.

If you are worried about overexpansion, you might try the Barnes TSX as they are good groupers and offer controlled expansion. The Nosler Partition would be good also.

Try the pointblank ballistics program and you can specify a 300 yard zero. Beware of shooting about 4" high at 200 yards though.

It's downloadable on the right side of the huntingnut page.

http://www.huntingnut.com/

Hope you get the rifle shooting decent groups.

RR