Sign in to follow this  
3Coues3

UNIT 27? (And NO I am not E-Scouting)

I am going to be helping a buddy out on the unit 27 oct.16th cow rifle tag. Was curious to hear from past tag holders if they saw any post rut action while on this hunt?

you will most likely see some rutting. they usually go pretty strong until about then. rut won't be full blown, but you will hear bugles, see bulls with cows, etc.

• Like 2

With A lot of the Oct cow tags if you hear a bugle it's a save bet to go after it. Cause more than likely he has cows with him

• Like 1

Yep, October cow hunt, we worked hard and killed 2 cows in 2 years but never saw a bull or heard a bugle. Just being honest. That was in wilderness and out.that includes glassing some big country.

You will hear bugles, and see some post rutting activity. The cows will be pretty much shut down, but the bulls aren't ready to give it up yet.

You will also see a lot of driving. This is a very popular hunt with road hunters. The cows will be really stirred up so get off the roads, burn some boot leather and you will be fine.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the responses!! Pine Donkey we plan to do just that. Get away from the roads and the road hunters.

Usually, not always for the perfectionist, the 2nd estrous kicks in about that time. I know in units I like that the 2nd estrous has the bulls screaming better than the first go around on some years.

I helped some friends on that hunt last year and that was all we did (listen for bugles) to get my friends wife her first elk.

This year my wife and his wife have the same tags so we'll see you up there!

Jeff

Bulls will bugle randomly until November 1.

We had bulls bugling with cows on Nov 20 last year on my son's cow hunt in 23.