Sign in to follow this  
coueswt

Portable/Compact Tire Compressor advice

Need some help. I need a new tire compressor to carry around while scouting and hunting that is compact and fit under rear truck seat. Also that will pump up truck tires without having to sit there for 30+ minutes before heading home. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a craftsman portable compressor I received as a gift years ago it fits under my back seat of my truck, and works great have used it on several occasions. I would check out Sears.

The viair seems to be the go to for a lot of off road clubs/forums. I researched these for quite a while last summer but just stuck with a cheap slime kit for emergencies. I have seen good review on the harbor freight model as well. If you are out a lot or need a sustem to air ip tires regualarly then spend the money on a better system. The better ones pump much faster and are built hardier. Also, get one that hooks to the battery the cig lighter systems limit you to the 12-15 amps at that socket the better ones will run at 30A and you have the option of a separate battery in your trailer.

The Viair model link above is the one I will probably buy this year.

I don't think they make them anymore but I have an old engine air. Pull a spark plug, put the adapter in place of the plug, hook up the air hose and five minutes later after idling the engine your tire is all filled up.

I have had my Viair II for probably 8-10+ years, back when I used to off-road a LOT. It is not what you call fast filling up a 37-39" tire, but it beats changing one out. I bet mine has aired up at least 500 tires. I doubt you can say that with the cheapies from Pep Boys or Autozone.

• Like 2

I use the harbor fright pump. I also use auto air down valves... you put them on and they shut off after reaching a set air pressure. Way faster than manually airing down each tire.

You can get the Harbor freight 150PSI model like the Viair ( a little less CFM) for 59 bucks .... I have had no issues and have been using the same one for last 5 years... with 33" tires it takes about 5 mins from 10 - 35 LBS The Viair may save you a couple minutes ... But as someone, crack another beer !

Look up the Q industries too .. That is what my dad runs and has Same specs as Viair for about $80

However… all that said… I would love a nice CO2 system.

• Like 1

I've been using the viair 88p for a while and it works well. Half the price of the 300p but not as powerful. I just top off the tires, don't air down and up all the time. Works for me and is built pretty solid. I only run 32in tires though and it's supposed to max out at 33in tires.

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I/ref=pd_sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=134753DB4MS580B8G315

Those air down valves are way cool. My buddy has them for his jeep. He uses an 85.00 dollar jump box with air and its 30 minutes and 2 beers to fill 4 tires to 32 lbs

Viair is the best thing going I have the 400p and it is great. If I did it again I would get the 440p, much more CFM. I have 35" tires. There are many others that work but it is like buying a Honda generator over the Champion brand. Each will get the job done.

I don't drink beer so I don't like the long waits.

ONe piece of advice, if using the Viair you will find that the hose end on the compressor gets VERY hot. They are recommended with a 33% duty cycle. That means you need to cool the pump every now and then. I don't cool or stop mine and I have gone through a few hoses. When it gets real hot the heat transfers to the hose and it pops.