MathewQuigly

Over the counter Elk Tag

I hunted one of the 4b otc hunts a few years back. Very few elk, but still had fun. Could have killed a couple cows. Tracking elk in that area is pretty easy, as the ground is very soft and sandy

I looked into a tag for the Alamo Lake area last year. Couldn't believe how short the hunt window was.

I looked at that 4b tag I think a few years ago. That's up near Winslow right? Archery only I believe due to ranches up there but thought it looked fun

I looked at that 4b tag I think a few years ago. That's up near Winslow right? Archery only I believe due to ranches up there but thought it looked fun

Yeah, that's where it was at. I hunted it probably 5-6 years ago and it was rifle, any elk. I think it was the first year G&F offered an OTC elk hunt and the area was pretty busy. Could have killed a couple cows, but opted against it

I think its a mix. There's a rifle area and then there's an archery only area. Have to double check AZGFD cuz it can change as our season changes :-D It's always fun to look at the OTC elk hit the ground and the landscape they are in heh

August 1 - Dec 31 for the general any elk for the Winslow Holbrook hunt area could be decent at times ... Back doing work up there 8 years ago when the snow started packing in we seen a few respectable bulls up towards those hay fields as well as several herds of cows

I tried it Saturday afternoon during the non prime time hours of 2 - 4. I want a velvet bull. Lots of tracks and sign. Also I jumped out of my glasses when this guy let me know of his presence. Nothing like being blind with a noisy rattler. The new tamaracks were ten feet high in places and I was nervous to cross the LCR so I stayed on the north side of the river.

post-4480-0-92761000-1438060883_thumb.jpg

closest I got to a bull

post-4480-0-87004200-1438060929_thumb.jpg

Not sure about all the areas but the spots I tried one year had a crazy number of hunters. Was running into hunters every hour. Word gets out fast when elk tracks are spotted in these areas.

Never seen as many hunters in my life as that 4b hunt the year they opened it up. Was nuts, dudes on horses, quads, trucks, guys walking around everywhere.

We did it a couple years back...no other hunters gotta think outside the box. talk to the warden he can give you some tips.

Buddy called in a bull and smoked him with a brush gun lever .44 mag

james