Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

Suppressors for hunting rifles

is it ok for people without the proper license to own a silencer, to shoot one that is owned by another person with the license? what are the rules? Lark

is it ok for people without the proper license to own a silencer, to shoot one that is owned by another person with the license? what are the rules? Lark

great question

Yesterday, in Unit 33, 2 of my nephews killed their first deer. They used my Remington 600 in 243 with a Silencerco Harvester on it. One of them is 12 and his little brother is 10. They both shoot lights out with a 22 but were having trouble grouping their 243. The 12 year old hated the noise more then the recoil. The 10 year old hated both. With the suppressor and my tripod (shooting in tall grass) they both sealed the deal on deer yesterday. 12 year old from 175 yards and the 10 year old 280 yards. Pictures will follow.

I do not believe this happened cuz mikey see no pictures..

• Like 1

That is not a question anyone but the Suppressor owner and ATF can honestly answer.

Whether you may posses the suppressor depends entirely on how the owner has the tax stamp licensed for the item. Some trusts will allow the ability to name beneficiaries (maybe wrong term?) that have full rights to possess and use the NFA items registered thru the trust, others do not. One registered directly to the person and not thru a trust I do not believe can be loaned, borrowed, used, etc by others. But again I am not a NFA attorney so you need to contact ATF to get a realist answer.

• Like 1

That is not a question anyone but the Suppressor owner and ATF can honestly answer.

Whether you may posses the suppressor depends entirely on how the owner has the tax stamp licensed for the item. Some trusts will allow the ability to name beneficiaries (maybe wrong term?) that have full rights to possess and use the NFA items registered thru the trust, others do not. One registered directly to the person and not thru a trust I do not believe can be loaned, borrowed, used, etc by others. But again I am not a NFA attorney so you need to contact ATF to get a realist answer.

Pretty much nailed.

• Like 1

As to who can shoot it. If a lawful possessor is present, they are in control of the item and they can have others shoot it. It is that was for all NFA items.