Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

Suppressors for hunting rifles

Is there a diameter size of barrel tip required to be able to mount a suppressor? How long of barrel do you use for a hunting rifle like a 7 mm Rem mag?

Is there a diameter size of barrel tip required to be able to mount a suppressor? How long of barrel do you use for a hunting rifle like a 7 mm Rem mag?

Minimum barrel diameter will be dictated by the thread size of the suppressor you have. A 5/8x24 threaded can (common for .30 cal) will need a larger outside diameter than a 1/2x28 threaded can (common for 5.56). There are many more options out there but it would depend on your specifc caliber. Larger bores will need the larger thread versions. The can will also need a shoulder to seat against as its threaded on.

What caliber and barrel are you thinking about. I can help you find the minimum thread size/pitch.

• Like 1

I would think a .300 win mag rated can that is threaded at 9/16x24 would be your best option.

The deciding factor would be how much of a shoulder is left for the can to "square" up against. Most recommend .04" or .05" shoulder on either side of the barrel as the minimum.

9/16" = .5625" Brux #4 has a muzzle diameter of .670" The difference would be .1075 / 2 = .05375" of material left as a shoulder around the perimeter of the muzzle.

A 7mm through a .30 cal can works just fine!

I am debating on if bring my Can on my hunt. Shooting supersonic I never considered it to matter, but more I think about it, it couldn't hurt. I just do not htink I will have time to do any shooting past 200yrds with the can on to know where it it is hitting.

My tikka t3 lite 300wsm is threaded 1/2x28. And I have an adapter from gemtech that but ngs it up to 9/16x24. I have a model 7 threaded to 7/16x28. A little thin but it has been great.

I'm shooting tomorrow outside of flagstaff. My daughters have unit33 tags and we are dialing them and the rifles in. I just got my silencerco omega and another harvester. Love them.

Took my cousin's 10 yo son and 2 of my daughters out shooting today. My daughters have Coues tags in 33 and the boy (cousin's son) has a elk tag this weekend. We had one last range day to get him dialed in. Here is some pics of them shooting my Rem Model Seven, suppressed 308 and my HR/ACC 300bo suppressed. These kids are dialed in out to at least 300 yards. Will try to upload the videos too. Target was at 200yds on a windy day. the picture is rotated wrong.

post-3516-0-47408400-1444094821_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-03090500-1444094924_thumb.jpg

Dang steve all i can think of is that is bunch of ladies for you to deal with.. I wish you and the 1 boy luck! Can't get 2nd vid to play

Ok got 2nd video to open. Pretty nice suppressor action kids seem to really enjoy

• Like 1

Yesterday, in Unit 33, 2 of my nephews killed their first deer. They used my Remington 600 in 243 with a Silencerco Harvester on it. One of them is 12 and his little brother is 10. They both shoot lights out with a 22 but were having trouble grouping their 243. The 12 year old hated the noise more then the recoil. The 10 year old hated both. With the suppressor and my tripod (shooting in tall grass) they both sealed the deal on deer yesterday. 12 year old from 175 yards and the 10 year old 280 yards. Pictures will follow.