Alrighty, I got drawn for deer this year! Woohoo! As of right now, I am shooting a 180 grain bullet out of my 30-06. Would this pose any issues shooting a coues? Shooting a 180 , cause bear season is right around the corner and I am getting ready for that. I would like to stick with one grain of bullet. Any suggestions?

I've downed 3 Coues with that round, probably less bloodshot meat than with my .243. Just learn the trajectory, that round drops rapidly after 200 yards

• Like 2

I've been fortunate enough to take a handful of Coues. All of them have been with 180 grain, off the shelf Remington bullets. Ranges from 30 yards to 300; all were quick, clean kills.

No issues with excessive meat damage, either.

Practice, practice, practice and it should work well for you. Good luck!

• Like 2

I've downed 3 Coues with that round, probably less bloodshot meat than with my .243. Just learn the trajectory, that round drops rapidly after 200 yards

Yeah, I see that. Right now I have it zeroed at 200.

Interesting. I figured it would do the opposite, cause it was a bigger round.

Generally heavy bullets expand a lot less than light bullets and cause less meat damage due to lower velocities.. A 180 out of an ultra mag traveling at 3,500 fps, compared to one out of a 30-06 traveling 2700 fps, will be much more destructive. Velocity is what causes bullets of all weights to expand and cause damage.

Interesting. I figured it would do the opposite, cause it was a bigger round.

I'll probably be crucified cuz I'm no ballistics head, but it would seem to me you'd get more bloodshot from a lighter round packing greater velocity.

• Like 1

Lol. What can I say GreyGhost, great minds think alike...

I only use 150 grain bullets with my .30-06. I shot a cow elk with the same 150 grain bullets last year too, one shot drop. Good round, but I am switching up to a 6.5 Creedmoor now.

Thanks for all of the info guys! Can any of you recommend a place to shoot out past 200 yards? I am in Peoria.

150gns-180grns???, today all major makers bullets will get the job done...

Whatever shoots the best(most accurate) from YOUR Rifle, never mind what works for other rifles...

(My .30-'06 Winchester M7, 3-9x50 Nikon, rattle-can camo syn stock, 300yds zero, loves Federal Premium 165 trophy bonded... gotta few 100 rds of the same lot that "Bella" loves to eat...)

What??? You don't name your Rifles???

Hahahaha! Now, I need a name for my rifle!

What make 180gr are you using?

Remington corelokt PSP

• Like 1

I never use more then 165 For coues and don't bother resetting my scope (it's dialed in for 180's) HOWEVER I am not taking shots beyond 500 either. If your shot placement is good then I agree with the above- minimal damage to the quarters. If not then you are going to be wasting a good portion of the meat.