1. 1. Will you hunt according to the MVUM Maps

• I will use closed roads while hunting scouting
    • I do not expect to get a ticket from NFS
    • I will camp within the set limits for camps from the road
    • I will stay in dispersed camping areas
    • I will continue to use my normal camping spots

will you try to obey all the rules while others will not

not sure if I set up the poll correctly but you get the drift

with elk and deer seasons about to begin , I'm just wondering how most will spend time scouting and hunting

I have already been on a couple of well traveled roads in 6b, that I later learned were closed. The closed roads I encountered were better than the open roads. I know if I walk into one to hunt someone will drive in behind me. The recreational forest users dont carry these maps and have no idea. I see them camped by water holes all the time. One road I drove on had the big steel gate with a road closed sign on the open gate. If the road is closed imo the fs needs to get to work and close them. It shouldnt be our problem to figure it out.

• Like 1

I have already been on a couple of well traveled roads in 6b, that I later learned were closed. The closed roads I encountered were better than the open roads. I know if I walk into one to hunt someone will drive in behind me. The recreational forest users dont carry these maps and have no idea. I see them camped by water holes all the time. One road I drove on had the big steel gate with a road closed sign on the open gate. If the road is closed imo the fs needs to get to work and close them. It shouldnt be our problem to figure it out.

That's what I don't agree with. If there's a gate and you don't want me on the road then lock the gate that's already their.

With that said- I try to obey the road closures except the ones I just don't agree with. I believe the road closure excuse was to prevent further destruction of the habitat and yet they just graded a closed road.

On the camping side of it I would probably follow the rules just because I don't want to spend all the time it takes to set up the wall tent to be told to take it down and move.

Last archery season, we had just finished setting the tent up when forest service pulled in and pulled out her map and said good news, you're in a designated camping spot so I don't have to make you move.

That's what I don't agree with. If there's a gate and you don't want me on the road then lock the gate that's already their.

With that said- I try to obey the road closures except the ones I just don't agree with. I believe the road closure excuse was to prevent further destruction of the habitat and yet they just graded a closed road.

On the camping side of it I would probably follow the rules just because I don't want to spend all the time it takes to set up the wall tent to be told to take it down and move.

Last archery season, we had just finished setting the tent up when forest service pulled in and pulled out her map and said good news, you're in a designated camping spot so I don't have to make you move.

When did they start with designated camping spots? I thought that camping was allowed throughout the forest. It was motorized travel or parking within 30 feet of the road that was the issue.

I dont set out to break the rules but if a large area is now closed I'm going to continue to use the road forest service improved just last year.

Makes no sense to me at all. Keep off this road they say but here let us bring in the heavy equipment to improve it but stay off.

• Like 1

When did they start with designated camping spots? I thought that camping was allowed throughout the forest. It was motorized travel or parking within 30 feet of the road that was the issue.

that was my understanding too. i know there are some areas and forests where they HAVE designated dispersed camping but I thought prescott and coconino was open to pretty much anywhere so long as motorized travel was allowed.

and the comment about the ranger saying they dont have to make you move cuz they pulled out a map and you were in a designated area. im sure it was just a joke and giggles, but at the same time that mentality is what's dangerous. are they OUT to get you, instead of just trying to make sure everyone is being safe and following the rules set up in everyones best interest

• Like 1

I will spend a lot of time walking down closed roads that are pounded with tire tracks.

Forest Service sucks.

• Like 1

I try to obey rules and laws. That being said, if a road is not visibly marked closed, I may take it. If they want to close roads, put signs on them. Might not keep everyone out but most will adhere.

Through out my nearly 36 years of driving I rarely ever take a road that does not have a road number on it. Excluding unit 10 because the majority of the roads are not marked but I haven't I stepped foot in that unit since 2006.

As far as camping goes, 30 feet from a road is too close IMO. Not safe if you have kids or pets and the dust is ridiculous.

If I get a ticket I will not try to get off on a technicality either. I will not be happy about it but I will not blame anyone else.

Civil Disobedience. It worked for Gandhi and MLK.

• Like 1

I don't think this lady was joking. She was in camp for at least 30 minutes and there was definitely no giggles during that time. She was all about business asking if I had been traveling on any closed roads yet and wanted me to download the forest service maps onto my garmin rino because the maps I had didn't show the road closures.

I dont like worrying over stuff like that, so I typically just park at the trailhead and walk in. Rarely ever see another soul until I walk out again.

Thought I'd read that USFS ditched the 30' rule and opted for 100'. 30 feet is ridiculous, 100' is better but still a bunch of baloney.

If I set up my toy hauler 30ft off the road and pull out the awning and set an easy up, my camp fire will be in the road. Great idea.