Designated Dispersed Camping  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Will you hunt according to the MVUM Maps

• I will use closed roads while hunting scouting
    • I do not expect to get a ticket from NFS
    • I will camp within the set limits for camps from the road
    • I will stay in dispersed camping areas
    • I will continue to use my normal camping spots

Overall it just seems like a poorly planned, poorly executed, poorly enforced govt regulation that most people don't know about or are willing to risk defying because of those reasons.

My biggest pet peeve With the TMP IMO inhibits youth outdoor involvement. (Intentional?) Now our young kids have to walk miles just to check a tank for sign that has an established road to it? When we could take a nice ranger ride to 4-5 tanks a day I can now only get my boys to maybe 1-2 a day before they're wore out. After a couple days they're done walkin.

Tough situation for those with early (high temp) hunts trying to save meat from spoiling with no vehicle retrieval.

1 positive I saw on my last trip was that even some legal roads are disappearing creating more of a roadless area. Good for those that are willing to walk and hunt a little farther from the road than the next guy.

I have already been on a couple of well traveled roads in 6b, that I later learned were closed. The closed roads I encountered were better than the open roads. I know if I walk into one to hunt someone will drive in behind me. The recreational forest users dont carry these maps and have no idea. I see them camped by water holes all the time. One road I drove on had the big steel gate with a road closed sign on the open gate. If the road is closed imo the fs needs to get to work and close them. It shouldnt be our problem to figure it out.

That's what I don't agree with. If there's a gate and you don't want me on the road then lock the gate that's already their.

With that said- I try to obey the road closures except the ones I just don't agree with. I believe the road closure excuse was to prevent further destruction of the habitat and yet they just graded a closed road.

On the camping side of it I would probably follow the rules just because I don't want to spend all the time it takes to set up the wall tent to be told to take it down and move.

Last archery season, we had just finished setting the tent up when forest service pulled in and pulled out her map and said good news, you're in a designated camping spot so I don't have to make you move.

When did they start with designated camping spots? I thought that camping was allowed throughout the forest. It was motorized travel or parking within 30 feet of the road that was the issue.

I think it is 300', not 30'.

From Coconino.....

The MVUM does not restrict where visitors may camp on National Forest System lands. However, it does restrict where motor vehicles may be used for the purpose of camping. Use of motor vehicles away from designated roads for the sole purpose of camping is permitted on National Forest System lands up to 300 feet from the edge of a designated road where indicated by the MVUM's "dispersed camping" symbol . Also, visitors may park alongside any designated road's edge and walk to their campsite anywhere on National Forest System lands, except where specifically prohibited as indicated in closure orders. When parking along a designated road, drivers must pull off the travelled portion of the roadway to permit the safe passage of traffi

I have already been on a couple of well traveled roads in 6b, that I later learned were closed. The closed roads I encountered were better than the open roads. I know if I walk into one to hunt someone will drive in behind me. The recreational forest users dont carry these maps and have no idea. I see them camped by water holes all the time. One road I drove on had the big steel gate with a road closed sign on the open gate. If the road is closed imo the fs needs to get to work and close them. It shouldnt be our problem to figure it out.

That's what I don't agree with. If there's a gate and you don't want me on the road then lock the gate that's already their.

With that said- I try to obey the road closures except the ones I just don't agree with. I believe the road closure excuse was to prevent further destruction of the habitat and yet they just graded a closed road.

On the camping side of it I would probably follow the rules just because I don't want to spend all the time it takes to set up the wall tent to be told to take it down and move.

Last archery season, we had just finished setting the tent up when forest service pulled in and pulled out her map and said good news, you're in a designated camping spot so I don't have to make you move.

When did they start with designated camping spots? I thought that camping was allowed throughout the forest. It was motorized travel or parking within 30 feet of the road that was the issue.

I think it is 300', not 30'.

Its 30 feet in most forests. Some, Prescott NF for one, have some areas that are extended to 300. On the Southern portion of the Kiabab NF where I spend most of my time its 30 everywhere.

From Coconino.....

The MVUM does not restrict where visitors may camp on National Forest System lands. However, it does restrict where motor vehicles may be used for the purpose of camping. Use of motor vehicles away from designated roads for the sole purpose of camping is permitted on National Forest System lands up to 300 feet from the edge of a designated road where indicated by the MVUM's "dispersed camping" symbol . Also, visitors may park alongside any designated road's edge and walk to their campsite anywhere on National Forest System lands, except where specifically prohibited as indicated in closure orders. When parking along a designated road, drivers must pull off the travelled portion of the roadway to permit the safe passage of traffi

I followed that link but I don't see where that wording is.

On Edit. I found it.

I know that there is an area on the 300 road just past the turn off for Woods Canyon Lake that has signs saying no camping and all along the 300 road I see that large boulders have been placed to block a vehicle from pulling the road into spots that were always accessible for a vehicle to pull into. Not necessarily to camp but to park so you could get out and hike/hunt. I was up there camping a couple of months ago and after the pavement ends a few miles in there is a road to the right I took that went back in about a mile. It had designated campsites all along it that were about 50 yards apart. At the end of the road was a locked gate but the road went for quite a ways in. The sign on it said it was close to all but snow mobiles.

I know that there is an area on the 300 road just past the turn off for Woods Canyon Lake that has signs saying no camping and all along the 300 road I see that large boulders have been placed to block a vehicle from pulling the road into spots that were always accessible for a vehicle to pull into. Not necessarily to camp but to park so you could get out and hike/hunt. I was up there camping a couple of months ago and after the pavement ends a few miles in there is a road to the right I took that went back in about a mile. It had designated campsites all along it that were about 50 yards apart. At the end of the road was a locked gate but the road went for quite a ways in. The sign on it said it was close to all but snow mobiles.

Yes, up 300 past woods a bit on the right there is a designated dispersed camp ground thats numbered! crazy hahah! I believe that one s the FR195 camp ground. That one has a small road that goes directly to the west lake fork

Theres another campgroun onto the left right on the rim FR9350.

These two spots get hammered pretty hard, woodscanyon is always packed

past 3 times we have been out there have been big caravans of campers/trailers camped on closed roads... not just by the turn offs but up to 1/2 mile back in there. no f/s personnel anywhere.

if they only mess with people during hunting season we have a problem.

James

I read somewhere last week, can't find it now, where Tonto had a 100' camping from the road and you were allowed to travel 1 mile off road to recover down game. I know for sure that's what it said but dam if I can remember where I read this. For the life of me I can't figure out why all the forest can't get on the same page. :)

TJ

I think this is the area we were talking about?

Agreed if they are only enforcing it during hunting season not cool. Really need a check and balance with the feds. Some forest have different rules from what I remember. Coconino is usually pretty good with publishing and getting the info out, The Kaibab as well. The other's are kind of spotty.

post-11699-0-58379200-1437066773_thumb.jpg

Apache-Sitgreaves does NOT have an approved forest-wide "Motor Vehicle Use Map" yet, like those in use since 2011 in Kaibab and Coconino Forests. It's not unusual to have more specific regs in place for high-use areas (like the Rim lakes) ...

I have to admit I always push for more road closures but they are doing a terrible job of it in the plan. Why why why can't they just put logs in the road and a dam sign?????? It makes zero sense. Almost all the roads that are supposed to be closed have no sign and still have the numbered sign and of course are well traveled still. Oh and I was up scouting and of course there are 20 toy haulers up there with no people all week, guess they own the forest and those camp spots, we stopped and took dumps in all of them and didn't flush. Please take this as the wise crack it is and don't rant on me, that goes for you mostly greyghost69. That's a joke too in case ,,, oh never mind

• Like 1

I have to admit I always push for more road closures but they are doing a terrible job of it in the plan. Why why why can't they just put logs in the road and a dam sign?????? It makes zero sense. Almost all the roads that are supposed to be closed have no sign and still have the numbered sign and of course are well traveled still. Oh and I was up scouting and of course there are 20 toy haulers up there with no people all week, guess they own the forest and those camp spots, we stopped and took dumps in all of them and didn't flush. Please take this as the wise crack it is and don't rant on me, that goes for you mostly greyghost69. That's a joke too in case ,,, oh never mind

I think I get your idea. If more roads are closed you have some easy mule pack hunting. A road is a road not a mule pack trail. If it is actually closed to vehicular access then no vehicles. Have to see the sign. If there is not a sign 50% or more will travel that road.

You like the idea because you have mules. I have a rhino and boots, so to each his own. I dont try to break the law or play stupid, I dont have the time to check and learn every new federal regulation, law and map. I try but its going to be a loosing battle.

Oh its a loosing battle for sure, I have a rihno and quad and dirt bike and I use roads its just there doesn't need to be one every mile going left and right and to every water hole and around every hill.

This stuff makes my head hurt. If it ain't marked, sue me. I am in agreement with many of the road closures, but if it ain't marked. <_< Oh' well.

Like many have already stated, it sure sucks to walk into an area just to have some yahoos on atvs or whatever coming in and disturbing and upsetting every critter in the area including me. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I don't even know what "dispersed camping" means.

• Like 1