Coach

A little eye candy from Zion

Thanks for sharing Jason. Great pictures. Was that a squirrel or a fox in the first picture. I've never been there so I will have to put this on my to do list. :)

I keep looking at the photos!! The Narrows of the virgin river are one of my all time favorite places on this planet.Need to get back there.

I'll have to make time to visit while on my BUFFALO SCOUTING!!!!! (Picture an ugly white guy doing a touchdown dance!!))

Thanks all! Hey TJ - it was a squirrel, lol. We actually bumped into another rattler a couple hours later - also well fed. We've done a LOT of hikes in Utah - Some around Moab, Goblin Valley, Kanarraville, Escalante Staircase, and unanimously agreed, Orderville in Zion is the best so far. But it's a long, relatively tough "hike". It's about 14 miles from where you get dropped off to the last shuttle stop in Zion at the temple of sinawava, and requires 2 short rappels and some hand-lining, giving it a designation as a "technical" canyon.

I keep looking at the photos!! The Narrows of the virgin river are one of my all time favorite places on this planet.Need to get back there.

I'll have to make time to visit while on my BUFFALO SCOUTING!!!!! (Picture an ugly white guy doing a touchdown dance!!))

AHHA! Give yourself some more credit man!

Thanks all! Hey TJ - it was a squirrel, lol. We actually bumped into another rattler a couple hours later - also well fed. We've done a LOT of hikes in Utah - Some around Moab, Goblin Valley, Kanarraville, Escalante Staircase, and unanimously agreed, Orderville in Zion is the best so far. But it's a long, relatively tough "hike". It's about 14 miles from where you get dropped off to the last shuttle stop in Zion at the temple of sinawava, and requires 2 short rappels and some hand-lining, giving it a designation as a "technical" canyon.

Kanarraville Falls is one of my favorites. We enjoyed this more than anything we did in Zion's this summer, given we did not hit Subway or the full Narrows. We did do a bit of the Narrows from the bottom, bu that mostly turned into screwing around in the river.

Flatlander, Kanarraville is one of our favorite hikes, but Orderville blows it out of the water. The scenery is amazing. Being semi-technical adds more excitement. One hike we're looking into next is the Birch Hollow into Orderville.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/technical/birch-hollow/

Doing it in one day will be challenging as the Birch Hollow route requires 3-6 hours of rappels (10 ranging from 15 to 100 feet) and going down river is another 3-6 hours (closer to 6 based on experience) and the last shuttle out of Zion is 9:30 PM. So an early start is mandatory for single day trip.

The Subway from the bottom is a beautiful hike, but it's just that. I really wish we had opted to go in from the top. Some of the guide books suggest you can get to the upper pools from the bottom with a little swimming and scrambling, but you can't anymore without some serious gear. If you go in from the bottom, the waterfall room is as far as you go.