egerdes

6a archery bull first timer

I personally wouldn't have cashed in 11pts on a 6a tag. Im guesing you were tag #1? Expect all 800 tag holders to have 2 buddies helping so your looking at roughly 2400 guys in the field come opening day. 6a is a huge unit my best advice is be mobile and cover a lot of ground searching for those rutting bulls. Elk can be found throughout the entire unit so pick a general area and get familiar with it. Sitting water can be effective if rain doesn't present itself during the hunt. Ive also found the 2nd week to be better for bugling bulls and less people to deal with. I like the southern half of 6a..

Since you are scouting, you will know where the cows are.. In august, this will be where the bulls are..

Good Luck!! We always do well in that unit, 750 of the 800 people won't go more than a 1/4 mile off of the roads..

I have hunted 6A for less than an hour. Met a buddy opening morning in a random area, left camp, got a bull to bugle, called him into our laps in about 5 minutes. 310" Bull down less than an hour into opening morning

• Like 1

Although ive had success in 6a the last 2 times I drew it Ill probably never put in for it again. Here is a pic of the last 2 bulls I killed in there. Although not monsters both were 6x6's and the one had 12.5" bases.

post-2694-0-67827200-1435863620.jpg

post-2694-0-31026300-1435863633.jpg

post-2694-0-47376100-1435863642_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice wildwoody. I have been to 6a scouting 7 times since being drawn to try and learn the unit but haven't been there on the early archery. hunt yet so I am not sure where most of the hunters go. I own a cabin in strawberry so I chose 6a so my kids can go with. I know it wasn't the best choice but I am most interested in getting the kids excited about hunting! Just thought I would ask... I have been reading the discussions for a few months now. Btw, do you live in camp verde presmyk? If so, I am pretty sure I know most of your family. Good luck with your

Ya that would be us

Rain doesn't help horn growth does it? .........BOB!

Rain doesn't help horn growth does it? .........BOB!

It does in every unit except 10 early bull. It only helps for the late hunt in 10. :D

Nice Bulls ruthinter and thanks for the tips! I got on a bull this morning with my cousin that should go around 350 or so. Hopefully I can find him during the hunt.

• Like 1