eom

Late season camping

avoid late hunts in the high country....brrrrrrrr

Unless you have a cabin with a hot tub, late hunts are a blast with a cabin. Sorry not an input to your ? but there is something nice about being well rested and comfortable all hunt long, especially during those late hunts.

• Like 1

I have the late 22 north bull hunt this year and was planning on getting a jumping jack trailer because of there simplicity and ability to haul my ranger crew but after adding the options I would want it just didn't make sense to pay that much money for a tent on wheels... Toyhauler are not really an option because I have my ranger crew to haul and my truck is paid off and only a 1/2 ton not sure it would do great hauling that much weight plus there a little out of my budget I looked into a hotel room because I would like to shower once or twice haha but it was gonna be around 750 for the full 7 days so now im looking into other options like canvas tents I like the kodiak tent because it's easy setup and would much rather camp out than stay in a motel if you tent it for the late hunts what do you do to stay warm in the tent? Do you shower or just use no wash soap?

check star valley... I think big browns said it's like $30-35 a night and that they like hunters... at least for a few nights.

James

avoid late hunts in the high country....brrrrrrrr

Game and Fish makes sure I avoid late ALL Elk hunts!

• Like 4

The shower isn't a big issue honestly I've never used one while camping or hunting in the last but this past weekend we went camping and my dad had his solar shower and I used it and it was nice to feel refreshed after sweating my butt off cutting wood I was just thinking with the cold weather it would probably suck haha I have a pretty good sleeping bag So

I'm covered there's big issue is staying dry and warm I really like the wall tents with stove I've never put one together and don't really want to spend 2 hours setting one up I like to be ably to move easily if I need to that's why I like the Kodiak flex bow I would however like the room the wall tent provides as there will probably be 8+ people hunting with me .... There have been some great suggestions listed so far thank you very much

I've done the late elk hunts with a good sized Cabelas dome tent, good cot, big buddy heater (bring along a couple 30lb bottles) and a decent sleeping bag, and have been very comfortable. Enough so that I don't bother dragging my pop up camper out on the hunts anymore.

Make sure you've got some good outside air ventilation in the tent. I run a hose to the heater from the 30lb bottle that stays outside of the tent. I also run a combination smoke / co detector at the top of the tent, and a co detector clipped somewhere in the tent about head level. I sleep like a baby. I'd personally not run anything that creates CO inside of a tent or camper without CO detectors.

I start up the heater up on medium about 30 minutes before bed time, and drop it to the low setting once I go to sleep. Keeps us pretty warm all night, and a couple 30lb bottles will get us though 10 days to two weeks.

Last elk season I picked up a Zodi Hot Tap single burner hot water shower. Would not be without one again. Very nice to be able to get under a bit of hot water with some soap, get the stink off, and jump into some fresh clothes.

• Like 4

Last season, a buddy and I had the late hunt in Unit 23. We stayed in a 14x16 canvas tent with a homemade wood stove (made from a 40 gal hot water tank). The key, we found, was to have a pot of water on the stove at all times. The humidity seemed to hold the heat much better than without. It would get so hot in the tent that you barely needed a sleeping bag. However, it was 8 degrees the coldest morning, with the high morning temp of 23 degrees. 8 degrees in a canvas tent was pretty cold. We stayed two weeks: one scouting, the other hunting.

I made a homemade shower from a 5 gal bucket and 1" EMT conduit. My buddy laughed at me when I put it up. I told him to not knock it 'til he tried it. I took a shower every other day up there. Nothing like having a clean nether-region every couple of days. This year, I am modifying the thing to slide into the 2" receiver on my truck or quad and be a little more rigid. We simply warmed the water on a turkey-fryer stove. It's a little cold getting out of it, but well worth the effort.

• Like 2

Awesome set up hucker I'm still debating on a tent I have good cots and just bought some kelty bags so I'm good there I like the kodiak tent easy setup I do like the wall tents just a little concerned with the setup process I've never put one up before don't really wanna spend a couple hours setting a tent up but I'm still looking around to see what is out there

Awesome set up hucker I'm still debating on a tent I have good cots and just bought some kelty bags so I'm good there I like the kodiak tent easy setup I do like the wall tents just a little concerned with the setup process I've never put one up before don't really wanna spend a couple hours setting a tent up but I'm still looking around to see what is out there

Setup is no problem, if you have a buddy who can help. We can setup the frame and canvas in less than 30 min, including staking it out as shown. Takedown is similar, if not a few minutes longer to roll the canvas right. Install of the stove is another 20 min or so. We use a canvas tarp for flooring to keep the dust down too. It also allows for an overlap of the ground skirt, which removes any drafts around the outside/bottom.

If only my buddy can find a way to install a pee-tube so he doesn't have to get up in the middle of the night...I have an iron bladder, so he has to feed the stove.

• Like 3

Suggestion.... wondering if anybody has tried?

If using a tent, get a (quite) generator and a electric heat dish. A generator will run 8 hours on a tank of gas -$4.00 and use the heat dish...

If your hunting party is like mine... there is always one that snores like a chainsaw. the generator can provide a noise maker to help... I normally have to take ear plugs

I've used wood stove, can be hard to manage the heat, hot and then cold....