naturegirl

spear fishing idea

This is how I prepare carp.

1. Shoot carp with fish arrow

2. Remove fish arrow

3. Throw carp on bank.

This recipe is excellent, I haven't heard a single vulture, racoon or Coyote complain.

but have you ever tried it? I have to try it first before it becomes animal food. I know everyone says it's yucky, but have they actually tried it?

Javi are supposed to taste gross, but don't.. Some people don't like duck, but I do. Frogs, turtles, elk, deer, snake = yummy. I'll try carp too at least once. I don't have smoker but I know someone who does.

My cousin in Illinois sent me a picture of a spear he made and has been successful with. He uses the carp for dog food...lol. Maybe he doesn't have a smoker.

Now to make my spear...lmao. I will be sure to attempt this endeavor when I have the water to myself.

carp taste fine, they are just bony. Ive grilled and smoked them. They are not my favorite, but plenty edible. I dont eat them, because I have striper in my freezer at all times and usually some wild game, tuna and yellowtail. I dont feel I need to eat carp since they are non native and usually make up the largest biomass in most lakes. Thinning them out while feeding the native animals works for me.

• Like 1

I remember growing up and being on San Carlos Lake.... My dad always slowed down the boat in the same spot because of an old Timer Apache that was always standing in his canoe spearing carp with his home made spears ... he loved carp and was always willing to take them carp off our hands any time we caught them while jigging the trees . Was cool watching him work the way he did in that old canoe, I know I could not have been able to keep it upright the way he did.

• Like 2

My husband participated in a spearfishing tournament at lake pleasant a few years ago. No restrictions on bass species. All his catches were large mouth bass. He came in 2nd place and loved it. I've never tried it but I've seen him do it successfully while I'm on the boat without a bite.

• Like 1

My first attempt I hit it but it deflected. Need a stronger arrow. I was kinda surprised I hit one.

Also got to see a Coati Mundi for the first time :) crazy looking creatures who look like they belong in Australia.

ITT I read about someone actually wanting to eat carp, and about a spear fishing tourney where the person who got 2nd shot a limit of largemouth. wtf am I reading

• Like 2