Sign in to follow this  
Sneaker

BIG front end on a 7x8 on 6/9

With two months of growing to go from the date of this picture, he's going to be quite amazing, right? He was very kind to stop right in front of the camera to give me some good angles.

post-8768-0-73794700-1435441726_thumb.jpg

He is gonna be nice for sure, but big bulls like can't just keep growing bigger and bigger than they are capable of. I bet he is done growing middle of July or so. But no way he goes into august still growing.

• Like 2

So conventional wisdom is the larger the bull the earlier they rub? The bull I killed last year was full velvet on 8/7, but only scored 320.

He should have one month of growth remaining......until August 1 is my thoughts

• Like 1

So conventional wisdom is the larger the bull the earlier they rub? The bull I killed last year was full velvet on 8/7, but only scored 320.

I would say that's correct. The start growing earlier so I would assume they finish a little earlier. They just put on more bone faster. I'm sure those 400"+ bulls grow a little longer to get those extra inches but who knows.

There are no hard and fast rules for antler growth. The vast majority are done by July, but there are always some late bloomers that continue growing well into August. It is very possible this bull is one of those late bloomers.

Why is that a copy past picture?

I opened it in paint and cropped it and did the beautiful electronic markering job.

• Like 4

Why is that a copy past picture?

I opened it in paint and cropped it and did the beautiful electronic markering job.

incredible photoshop work, ha. Hunters are a secretive bunch (myself included)

You shouldn't sweat the small stuff. That bull will be two to twenty miles from where you took the picture come late August. Few years back I got a picture of a nice 8 pointer in early August and two weeks later got a picture of him on another camera at least two miles away. When it comes time to rub their horns they are heading for where the ladies are and not where they have chosen to spend the summer!

• Like 2

Yeah, good chance of that, but at least he should be in the unit somewhere to keep me motivated. My last bull didn't move when he rubbed... which contributed to his quick death.

• Like 5