Sign in to follow this  
SirRoyal

COMMISSIONERS EMAILS STOP PUSHING ARCHERY ELK BACK!

Bowhunter Alert

The Arizona Game and Fish Department has language in the fall guideline package that would allow more muzzleloader hunts and general rifle hunts in front of the archery elk hunts. As you are probably aware the unit 9 elk hunt will have muzzleloaders in the field before Bowhunters this year. It's the first time in the entire country that an elk season has been started with a more of advanced weapon than a bow.

There is absolutely no biological reason for this change. It is purely a social issue because there are few who think Bowhunters kill the larger animals before muzzleloader and general rifle hunters can get to them?

Of course the Arizona Bowhunter Association opposed the unit 9 muzzleloader first hunt once we found out about it for two main reasons.

1st. There was absolutely no public input.

2nd. There is no data to show Bowhunters are harvesting larger bulls than the other weapon types. It is purely speculation

Most Bowhunters would tell you that the muzzleloader have it made because the muzzleloader hunt is typically in the middle of the rut. They already have the highest success rate with fewer hunting days out of all weapon types. The stats would seem to back it up that they are finding big bulls quickly and harvesting them.

Biologist would confirm that most the time the archery elk hunt starts before the rut actually gets going good. For that reason there are Bowhunters that are saying it would be a good thing to have it start after the muzzleloader because we would be in the middle of the rut for Bowhunters.

Yet another problem for the muzzleloader/early bull hunt going early is that there's going to be hundreds of Bowhunters scouting for their upcoming hunt on the opening weekend of the muzzleloader/early elk hunt.

The truth is there is no data, nobody knows what the outcome will be for the different weapon types. Opinions are all over the board for all weapons types of whether this would be a good or bad.

It is for this reason the Arizona Bowhunter Association is asking the department and the commissioners to do two things.

Survey the people that have been applying for the early rifle elk tag and asked what they want. Most have been waiting 15 to 20 years to get their hunt, the least we can do is ask their opinion. It could be that they may not want a pre-rut hunt?

Do not make any more changes for now and let's get survey data from the people who hunt unit nine and find out what their impression of the hunt is both for the muzzleloader and the Bowhunters. After all there is a possibility that both groups could be upset. Ruining the hunt that they've been waiting years for! Just because we decided to act on our gut feelings??

Please don't rush into more changes until we find out what the hunters really want? There is absolutely no vantage to rush into this. It has been working fine for years. Time is on our side to get this right.

Public input is over in just a few days. Contact the department and the commissioners at the following links and tell them that we want data. Do not make any more changes until we know what the effects are. Until we know what the hunting public wants.

Commissioner Robert Mansell RMansell@azgfd.gov

Commissioner Kurt R. Davis KDavis@azgfd.gov

Commissioner Edward 'Pat' Madden PMadden@azgfd.gov

Commissioner James R. Ammons JAmmons@azgfd.gov

Commissioner James S. Zieler JZieler@azgfd.gov

Arizona Game and Fish Department AzGameBranch@azgfd.gov

Randy Phillips

ABA liaison to the Arizona Game and Fish Department

Know someone else who would love this? Forward Email

Not yet signed up to receive our offers? Sign Up Now

Check us out on Social Media!

• Like 1

I think if it's done, it needs to be across the boards. I like the idea of the trophy hunt first. It gives the trophy hunters that have waited 15-20 first crack at the big bulls, which they deserve, and in return, the bowhunters get to hunt the best part of the rut. I am myself and avid bowhunter and a member of the Arizona Bowhunters Association.

• Like 2

I like the idea of every other year it being rifle or archery first.

• Like 4

I wouldn't agree that the archery hunts are always in the best part of the rut

• Like 1

more muzzy hunters and more rifle hunters than bow. There's a lot more dollars if they can attract more shooters to put in there application fees.

more muzzy hunters and more rifle hunters than bow. There's a lot more dollars if they can attract more shooters to put in there application fees.

Hmmm! Not sure you might have read too much into that MORE. I believe MORE is the already allocated tags moved in front of the archery hunts. They moved 25 muzzleloader tags in front of the archers in unit 9 so now they move MORE in front.

Sent my 2 cents in a couple days ago. Just received this email back from them.

Thank you for your comment. Your comment will be evaluated during the Hunt Guideline review process and shared with the Commission.

Amber

Amber Munig
Big Game Management Supervisor, Game Branch
Arizona Game & Fish Department

5000 W. Carefree Highway
Phoenix, Arizona 85086
phone: 623-236-7355
fax: 623-236-7929
email: amunig@azgfd.gov

FREE Arizona Game and Fish Department e-newsletters at Sign up for AZGFD eNews

GET OUTSIDE - Enjoy the Outdoors - look here for opportunities http://www.azgfd.gov/getoutside

Yup. Be shore to sign up for that wildlife news.

Just my opinion they don't like archery hunters. First they rake away or late 22archery do to low heard numbers, but they give out 800 rifle tags. Second take away batting do to wasting disease , blue tongue, which az has neither, and now put muzzy hunts before archery hunts. They are so full of BS. If you think they care what we say your hallucinating. Well anyway this is why I hunt antelope in Wyoming and buffalo in New Mexico.

• Like 2