Sign in to follow this  
jhedg

So Question ??

So if I am successful in getting a Cow elk, and I have to quarter it do I have to take the head back. or what do I have to keep

Our group has shot several cows over they years and have yet to be checked by AZGFD. But we have always saved the heads just to be safe. Wouldn't mind hearing others thoughts as well.

I shot a cow about 10 years ago. Figured if I left "evidence of sex" on the carcass, I'd be good. Left a mammary gland attached after skinning. Took it into the processor, and he said G&F could probably cite me for this (though unlikely) as the tag is actually for "antlerless elk" and not "cow elk". He said that the skinned skull cap, from ear to ear, forward and back of where antlers would be, would be sufficient. It does not need to be attached to the animal...just in your possession with the carcass.

I've never seen anyone keep the head or hide but I guess it makes sense. Regs say proof of sex not antler so glands should work. Wouldn't hurt to clarify but videos I've seen in field everyone does the glands and not head. I like the skulls so I would keep anyway

yep, antlered or antlerless is on the tag, just scalp it, I take the top from just above the eyes and include the ears, a gallon ziplock baggie will hold it

• Like 1

“Evidence of legality” means the wildlife is accompanied

by the applicable license, tag, stamp, or permit

required by law and is identifiable as the “legal wildlife”

prescribed by Commission Order, which may

include evidence of species, gender, antler or horn

growth, maturity and size.