Can anyone share any data you have on reloading with IMR 4895? I have used this in my .270 for a 130 - 150 grain bullet and was going to try some for my 300 win mag but I can't find data for that caliber over 150 grain bullet. Is there a reason? Is that powder not good for mag calibers with heavier bullets? The research I did said it is one of the most versatile powders used in military apps for 30-06. 17 rem to 243 all the way up to 375 H&H mag. Nothing for the 300 mag in a heavier than 150 bullet.

Thanks.

Ya its a little fast for the bigger bullets and the win mag. It likes the slower burns like 4831. That's what I run on the mags like the 300.

Ya its a little fast for the bigger bullets and the win mag. It likes the slower burns like 4831. That's what I run on the mags like the 300.

I appreciate your response but what I don't get is why they have that powder data for a 375 H&H in 200 grn all the way to 300 grn. It worked great in my .270. Just gets my head hurting I guess.

Thats what I am loading is imr 4350, 7828, 4831, and R19. Trying to get a good consistent load and wanted to try dif powders

Yeah I was going to say the burn rate is the big thing.. great for those lighter bullets but want to slow it down for the heavier ones ... I would agree on 4831 but more often Use 4350 on 300 win mag and Ultra mag ... here is a couple links that may help ...

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/300winmag-2005apr03.php

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/general/burnchart.php

https://books.google.com/books?id=bEnpgMbBFv0C&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=case+pressure+fast+burning+powder+vs+slow&source=bl&ots=HlDJ8FG3TJ&sig=sfs_LjVAJu0Ulg91f2huU39rZuo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=j_ZcVanrBc-KuASwxYHIBg&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=case%20pressure%20fast%20burning%20powder%20vs%20slow&f=false

I hear ya on the other rounds with big bullets and its not that it won't work its just that with all the testing done by the bullet guys it doesn't work well. I think case configuration and barrel length in the 375 is what changes things for faster burn vs slow.

• Like 2

I hear ya on the other rounds with big bullets and its not that it won't work its just that with all the testing done by the bullet guys it doesn't work well. I think case configuration and barrel length in the 375 is what changes things for faster burn vs slow.

Thanks. that's what I thought but just didn't understand why no data.

The other thing is case capacity, it could be that the amount of 4895 that gets OK pressure is not enough to fill the case and causes consistency issues. Slower powder fills more of the case.

• Like 3

That makes sense. I have 4 other loads I am going to try with dif. powders if I EVER GET MY DANG SCOPE!!!!

murphy, my son and i have been using imr 4895 with great results in a 3006 and a 7mm ackley improved but have found it to be really temp sensitive especially in the cold if that helps at all h 4831 is what you need

• Like 1