never shot one. a guy i work with has one. it's supposed to be a subsonic round that you can supress well. specs say it's a necked up .221 fireball. not a .223. it's a real pud of a round as far velocity and all that. but it would still hurt to get hit by one. i ain't into self defense stuff, but it's a real interesting concept. Lark.

• Like 1

buddy uses a SBR AR in 300blk, suppressed. pretty much a close range in house defense gun for him. He says its better than a handgun in most cases. of coarse he's running it with a 10.5 inch barrel. he does love it though.

• Like 1

Ive got a little bit of experience with this round.

a friend has an AR-15 in this and i reload it for him, we have been using 240 grain smk's and getting them subsonic along with the can all you hear is the firing pin hit then the bullet impacting its target along with the action cycling and case hitting the ground.

while a pretty anemic cartridge i would feel comfortable shooting a deer with it around 50 yds.

its great for getting peoples attention at the range...

• Like 1

What type of range are the good for? I've heared about 100yds max but you know how that goes

What type of range are the good for? I've heared about 100yds max but you know how that goes

No personal experience but I did watch a show where the PD was looking for a new sniper round, .308 Win vs. .300 Blackout. One test was had to shoot through drivers and passengers side glass on a car at 50 yards and then hit an electrical box to take out power after another 50 yards. .300 Blackout didn't make it out of the car. Another test was shooting a padlock off a gate. The .300 Blackout won that one due to the fact it took out the lock but did not do downrange damage. I hear the positive is the subsonic and suppression of the round.

• Like 1

The 300 blk out was first of a response to SF, Delta Force, and Navy Seals, who showed concerns of a Spec Opp that needed a subsonic round, that could hit lot harder than the HK MP5 9mm, but also stay within the suppressed MP5 length. So they first set out and put it on a MP5 platform with a 30 cal bullet, same weight as a 45 cal, hits hard, and can reach out to 300 yard if had to, while the 9mm was about 100-150 yards max. These military units didn't like the idea of going to the MP5 on special Spec Opp and when crap hit the fan and to find themselves with 150-300 yard shots the sub machine just doesn't have it. So that's what the 300 blk out started off. As compact as the MP5, Sub sonic for spec op, hits hard at close range, and if need be it can reach 300 yards. But the military didn't pick up a contract as I'm aware off. But I've heard of SWAT teams using them, and the private sector really took off.

• Like 1

Ive heared that the 300 blk out has become popular with the AR fans. Just trying to fig out if its a viable hunting round, more research needed

I bet it will knock a coyote out quick!! I haven't heard of to many people hunting with it. But people forget that the thanks to the 5.56 there are thousands and thousands of bad people not breathing because of it. It can still take out 200 lb men, and drop them dead. Couse deer weigh less. But in the sport of hunting and killing humanely most people usually shoot something bigger. But take a .223 brass and put a .30'cal 130-250 grain bullet on it I'm sure it will drop deer humanely from a short distance. Put a suppressor on it you might get lucky and hit the second coyote without him even running away :)

• Like 1

I have no experience with it, but read about someone from Barnes testing there 120gr bullet they make for the blk out. They claim they took a black bear at 300 yds cleanly, and the bullet penetrated 20".

• Like 1

I personally would not use this round past maybe 200 yards. Far too anemic for my tastes. Killing bad guys and zombies, now that's a different story.

• Like 1

I just picked one up, it's a break open single shot H&R threaded barrel new for $200.00. I have a can that fits it as well. Looking for a scope for it now, but I bought it for a dog gun at 0-200 yards. I'm curious as well how quiet it is and the stopping power it had.

• Like 1