I knew there were elk here. I've seen there tracks here before, but no one believed me. You would not believe it where these are. Look how skinny and tattered they are. This place is flat out PURE DESERT, prickly pear and mesquite. Too low for even whitetail to roam. From this water tank, I can see the rest area on the Beeline, as you go to Roosevelt. 3100 ft. elev by my GPS.

Here is a daytime pic to show what kind of area this is.

Elk have been in there for a couple years now. That is if is the same place i am thinking. If you can see that rest area then it is close to the spot i am thinking. I was pushing a herd in front of me while up there last month. It was the biggest herd i had been on so far. By the tracks it looked like about 10 elk.

Garth, What are you doing home? Did you get your bird and how big is he?

Mark

I've also seen them in the 4 peeks wilderness Area and Just below Rye, around Barnhardts trailhead in the low mesquites. (In the rut) There was a really big 5*5 running w/ a herd of 8 or so cows.

My dad saw a couple cows just past Rye a few years back when the drought was really bad.

Everytime I see this thread I am amazed... Those look like some mangy critters... If elk are true grazers they must be in VERY marginal habitat... poor little elk... Does the Game and Fish Acknowledge that there are elk in that area? Does that area get over 100 degrees??? I wonder if the bulls wallow??? In what?

j

Everytime I see this thread I am amazed... Those look like some mangy critters... If elk are true grazers they must be in VERY marginal habitat... poor little elk... Does the Game and Fish Acknowledge that there are elk in that area? Does that area get over 100 degrees??? I wonder if the bulls wallow??? In what?

j

I had the 22 South Archery Bull tag two years ago and when scouting I ran into the g$f guy out driving around (yea, I couldn't believe it either) and he put me onto some bulls just west of rye. So I know the g$f field officers know there are elk in the desert but I am sure that commissioners don't know about them or they would either give out more tags to exploit this hunter opportunity or close off the area to protect our new species of Sonoran Elk