Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Compact Rifle . . .Which one?

I really like it. It is a LOT better than the Viper I had and is more clear and brighter than the Viper HS LR my girl has on her 7 mm. It is a little on the heavy side, but other than that I am very happy with it.

I bought a Ruger American .22-250 to have a nice light rifle to carry when out scouting and riding in the backcountry. I love it! Very accurate and feels nice in the shoulder and has nice trigger pull with a adjustable trigger. I assume a larger caliber will shoot just as good but might need a brake.

The only issue I have with the Model 7 or other "compact" rifles is that the length of pull is the same, and this is one of the primary reasons for getting her own rifle. The Savages other than the Axis do not appear to be offered in 7mm-08.

I second the vote for Ruger American Predator in a 6.5 Creedmoor, Would be a great round for your wife. My nephew 10 years old and my son which was 8 at the time has taken this rifle out to 1000 yards.

The only issue I have with the Model 7 or other "compact" rifles is that the length of pull is the same, and this is one of the primary reasons for getting her own rifle. The Savages other than the Axis do not appear to be offered in 7mm-08.

If you are getting a rifle for a female look at the Tikka T3 Lite. I had my daughter shoulder everything she could over probably a half dozen trips to BP and Sportsman's. She did not like most of the youth or compacts for just the reason you stated. She consistently went back to the Tikka and the Winchester Featherweight. We bought the Tikka and it shoots fantastic and is easy for her to handle.

• Like 1

I have a model 7 stock you could have. Cut it down and paint it up and you'll be set. I haven't followed this newer line of guns such as the 770, axis or American but I know you can't beat a good used model 7 in 7mm-08 or .260.

• Like 1

I just bought a ranch model Ruger American in 5.56. It has a short stock and short barrel. I plan to use it for coyotes. Anybody have any thoughts on how the short barrel will shoot.

I have a model 7 7-08 for my little girl and it shoots real nice. I have a savage 111 lightweight hunter youth in 6.5 creed and it is a really nice shooting gun as well. Both shoot around moa with factory ammo. Will improve with handloads i bet Recoil is mild on both and handle real nice. Just putting more fuel on the fire for ya... Good luck with picking the right one for you!

ThomC,

It will shoot just fine considering that most AR15's have a 16" barrel and the powder used is fast burning and about 25gr. The 1:8" twist may be a bit fast for bullets weighing 50gr and lighter. Talk to some of the guys in the Predator Forum who use AR's and see what they have been getting the best results with.

IIRC Casey hunts with one.

Flatlander, I started my boys out with that Marlin sx7 in .243. I was almost pissed at how well it shot factory ammo! Lol 5 shot groups in a dime with cheap ammo! They make it in 7-08. Cowned barrel, accu trigger, fluted bolt, piller bed action ....... Very well built rifle for a cheep gun!!!

• Like 1

Ruger American great gun for the money,picked a .270 last week.

Lionhunter glad to hear that about the marlin I ordered a xs7 on gunsamerica in .308.

Have you checked out the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic Compact? I have a couple of Vanguards and have been very happy with their performance. Good luck.