Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Compact Rifle . . .Which one?

I think I have decided to purchase a new compact rifle for my wife to use on her elk hunt this year and for my children to use in the future. I have looked at the Remington 700 compact, Ruger American Compact, and Savage Axis Youth. I think I am sold on the 7mm-08 caliber so that has ruled out some of the other compact rifles. I have 0 experience with the Axis rifles, but I have heard negative things about non-accutrigger Savages. I like the 700 but it is quite a bit more expensive than the other two, is it worth it? I have not shot the Ruger American either, any thoughts?

The intent is that this year the rifle will get topped with a Vortex Crossfire, and remain otherwise pretty much stock. In the future I can start swapping components to build it into a more custom rig, but atleast for the immediate future, its going to have to stay about like it is.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

My vote would be for the 700 especially if your planing to customize later. You can find everything for the 700 easy. I have a ruger american compact and the bolt does not cycle very well, kind of hangs up in some spots. Shoots ok other than that.

• Like 1

Marlin x7. I believe they make a youth model in 7-08 and my research suggests that they are generally more accurate than most other sub $500 guns. They may even come pillar bedded. Another option would be to just buy a 7-08 in an adult model and order an aftermarket stock for it with a short length of pull. Boyds will get you a nice thimbhole stock for about $100.

Savage is known for out of the box accuracy and the axis is no exception. Trigger can be easily fixed with just a couple clips of the spring and bring the pull weight down to 3lbs or less or an aftermarket rifle basix trigger can be had for less than $100. Calibers can be easily changed as well in the future if you so choose and be done yourself without the wait and cost of a smith.

What dse said, you can get parts everywhere for Remington.

second choice though would be a Ruger American compact.

I prefer savage or ruger over Remington. BUT....the American and the axis are the bargin lines and are not great. A better comparison is to the 770.

So if those are the three option the 700is the best choice (I just threw up in my mouth at bit)

• Like 1

The Ruger head bev getting rave reviews, although I've berger personally handled one, that would be where I started personally.

I would go Savage or Rem no shortage of components or upgrades down the road.

I would not say that I am not willing to look at other compact Savage or Ruger's, but I had a hard time finding other model's in 7mm-08 that were youth/ladies models. I took a look at the Marlin X7 as suggested by Creed, hmm, the reading is very favorable for that rifle, but they seem all but impossible to find anywhere but gunbroker. The advantage of the adjustable trigger with the savage bolt nut design is pretty appealing. From the groups people have posted on other forums, I must say I am impressed.

Who do you guys that buy off of gunbroker use for your FFL?

My wife is using my Remington 700 mountain rifle in 270 on her bull elk hunt. Love the gun and she shoots it well.

Please give a look at the Remington Model 7. I own that rifle in .243, and I think it is the best handling rifle I have ever owned. It is more expensive than some, but the quality is worth it. Same great quality as the 700 action.

• Like 1

Who do you guys that buy off of gunbroker use for your FFL?

Havent bought off there in a while but any gun shop will do it for you or you can search for FFLs near u on gunbroker. Kind of a pain to do all that but you can usually get a better deal on there if ur patient. Have bought several guns from that site and always look there first.

I just picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and so far I am super impressed! Out of the box it has been much more accurate then my old 700 adl. So my vote would be for the Ruger.20027_645768182221875_757813276124327948

• Like 1

Flatlander, don't overlook Budsguns.

I've had very good luck with them with absolutely zero issues and I think their prices are right too.

• Like 1