Sign in to follow this  
joelpresmyk8

How long is powder good for?

I am really new to reloading And I am curious how long powder will last once opened.

Once I open an 8lb jug, how long do I have to use it before it will be bad? If that's even possible

It is highly variable - depends on powder (double base, single base, composition, additives, coating, etc.) , but if you keep it closed, and stored in a dark, climate controlled space, an 8# keg could be good for 8 - 10 years. I think I have kept small quantities longer than that, but did not use them.

If you ever open it and do not detect an ether smell, it has probably had it, and would be best to dispose of it. It is basically fertilizer at that point. If you match the amount of shooting you do, to the amount of stored powder on hand, you should cycle through it every 2 - 3 yrs. It can be tempting to stock up when you find a good buy somewhere, but remember it is semi-perishable, and you might end up selling at a loss just to unload it. Ask me how I know.

forepaw

I have used open pounds from 10+ years ago with no issue. Some may have been 15-20 years old. Keep them Dry and dark and it will last a long time.

Harley

Had an uncle pass. Used some h4350 (his load and rifle) that was dated 1983 from yellow front. Shoots fine. Another powder dated 1995 from jensens, IMR 4350, again his rifle shoots fine. Both 8 pounders, loaded for then 2 years ago. Bought new powder of the same type with no change. Store it correctly and your good for awhile.

Had an uncle pass. Used some h4350 (his load and rifle) that was dated 1983 from yellow front. Shoots fine. Another powder dated 1995 from jensens, IMR 4350, again his rifle shoots fine. Both 8 pounders, loaded for then 2 years ago. Bought new powder of the same type with no change. Store it correctly and your good for awhile.

Yellow front was awesome!!!!! :)

• Like 1

Ok awesome so keep it dry and In the dark and I'm good to go for a few years atleast! Thank you guys for the input!

I had some powder from my Dad that I remember sitting in his gun cabinet when I was a kid (25-30 years?). Loaded some up with it and it all went "bang".

• Like 1

I still have some powder around in the same canisters I used to watch my dad reload with when I was a kid. Even back then, it was military surplus and who knows how old. Maybe not the best for precision reloading, but like Lance says, it all still goes "bang".

I talked to the hodgdon rep at the nra convention last year and he said as long as you keep it at a constant temperature it'll last darn near forever. I can not recall exact temps, but it was somewhere along the lines of between 80 and 40. Of course a dark place is good and I think cooler would be better but he stressed temp swings being the worst thing for it. I think my ideal storage is an old fridge turned up to about 50 or 60. Anyone have an old fridge they don't use anymore? Lol

if you guys are worried about it, you need to shoot more. doesn't last long enough around my place to be a concern. Lark.

• Like 1

Loaded some rounds last year from some 1 pounders I had and they still had the Smitty's grocery store sticker on them. $16.95 a pound........awwwww...the good ole' days. I keep mine in a 50cal ammo can. It has a rubber gasket and, closes tight and no light gets in. Keep it out of the heat tho like said above.

I keep all of my open 8# in a 20MM ammo can. Kinda double sealing it.

Keeping the factory seal intact if possible helps too. The which disc you peel off of the top of a Hodogon type can, stick it in the lid so when you close it again you get that seal back in there.

• Like 2